Thursday, August 23, 2007

lost & found

8"Or suppose a woman has ten silver coins and loses one. Does she not light a lamp, sweep the house and search carefully until she finds it? 9And when she finds it, she calls her friends and neighbors together and says, 'Rejoice with me; I have found my lost coin.' 10In the same way, I tell you, there is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents." -Luke 15:8-10

* * * * *

보고싶어 돌아와줘 말 못했어
널 보는 따뜻한 그의 눈빛과

Don't you love it when you find a lost song? I am notorious for my lack of common knowledge of pop culture details. I can watch a movie, but I can't tell you actor/actress names. I can hear a song, but I can't tell you the title. Notorious, I tell you.

That being said, I think one of my favorite simple joys is when I find the artist/title of a song from days gone by that I really liked. Or (more commonly the case) - a song that someone once sang at karaoke or was on some unlabelled mix that I'll remember one catchy line from, but never be able to find. Sometimes, it happens after you've stopped actively searching for it - and it just sort of finds you.

My favorite song of the past year has been this kpop song on a workout mix I copied from someone. Here, we have an unlabelled mix, plus it's a remix, plus it's faster that whatever it's a cover of, so there's even less chance of catching the words - in another language. I've been relegated to calling it "Andy's Mix - Track 07" and copied it into multiple locations, since if I lose it, I'll have absolutely no way of finding it.

Tonight I decided to play some music that I never listen to. Meaning, I bought an album for one or two songs, and never paid attention to the other songs on it. As I was going through the never-before-played tracks, something sounded so familiar, I stopped what I was doing.

It turns out, it was the original of the remixed song.

I don't know how to describe that moment. It's like Gatorade after a hard summer workout. It's one instantaneous moment of satisfaction - which may fade soon after - but recurs every time you hear that song. I get that with certain songs which I've "found" over the years. Rick Astley's "Together Forever". TwoTwo's 일과 이분의 일. And now, Brown Eyes' 벌써 일년.

(And by way, if anyone has a copy of REF's 이별공식, you'll make my day).

No comments: