Tuesday, May 01, 2012

insensitive

After you get married, the first question people ask you is "how's married life?"  For which there isn't really a good pithy answer - I mean, I sort of go with the "can't complain...or I CAN complain but I won't" - which usually elicits a laugh and is vague enough to feel like the question was answered but not specific enough to be personal or continue conversation in that direction. 

The second question is always "so...any good news?" (as a euphemism for "are you pregnant?") 

I find it deeply annoying that "good news" equals pregnancy - I mean, it's good news in a sense, and how blessed are those who can get pregnant easily - but realistically, it's also the end of your life as you know it, and the beginning of a lot of stress and severe financial burden.  Not to mention 9 months of varying discomfort and an excrutiating torturous finale.  (If my future child or children ever find this blog, just a disclaimer not to take any of this personally - in fact this should be proof of how much I love you because bringing you into existenc was a long and sucky process.  You can thank me later - I love vacations on the beach - no flowers please.)

That being said, I think it's highly insensitive to ask about pregnancies.  Not that I'm pregnant.  But I know a lot of people who are, and a lot of people who'd like to be.  And a lot of people who had or are having trouble. 

It's like ... why would you ask a single girl when she's getting married?  Or how things are going on the dating front?  Unless you're a close friend, I don't think there's much right to ask such things.  It's like asking someone what their salary is, or what a student scored on his/her SAT's.  Or how much you weigh.  (I personally don't mind divulging my weight, but apparently others do). 

Here's my litmus:  if we're not close enough that I know either your salary, your test scores, or your true weight - then I'm not going to ask someone if they're pregnant.  I mean seriously, I was getting really annoyed for my friends who were trying to get prego and couldn't, but were constantly getting asked. 

As for my parents I just told them that the more they asked, the less I was inclined.  Since I've been known to spite them (reference the standing threat to marry a white guy if they kept pestering me about getting married), they've backed off.

Speaking of which - that irked me to no end as well.  When I was single, my parents would constantly harass me about dating.  As if I was slamming the door in the faces of the suitors lined up at my doorstep to court me.  Please.  The constant reminders were so unhelpful - sheez they're lucky I got married at all. 

Anyhow, that would be the peeve of the day.  Seriously people - a little noonchi please. 

That being said, I've also realized that along with seasonal affectedness, I have workout withdrawal that borders on uselessness.  I forget that endorphins give you a high - and apparently just how much of my nonstop life was dependent on those workouts in order to have enough energy to get thru everything else.  Who would've thought?  But there's just nothing like that feeling of dripping with sweat and knowing you have no energy left ... or rather, nothing like the feeling AFTER that when you can stop and just let the sweat drip and feel everything burn.  Hopefully the new jump rope workout on Thursdays will bring some of that back ... it's a little sad how we can't do everything we used to do, but fun to have dodo back in the dj.

No comments: