Friday, November 19, 2010

kindness

So at Eugy's recommendation, Al and I took the love languages test - which he thought was kind of contrived, but hey, no test is perfect. At the end of the day he disagreed with his results, saying that words of affirmation were actually most important to him.

Which is kind of hilarious bc words of affirmation are my lowest ranking. Not that I don't know how to affirm or don't need it ... I guess I just feel like

a) talk is cheap if it's just words

b) you can say the same things...by writing them down...on nice stationary...perhaps accompanied by photos...in a scrapbook...haha.

So in an attempt to make him feel loved with words, I set out to send him an e-card...I haven't done cards in awhile, though I used to send them often, and in spurts. I came across one that was pretty cool, about the fruits of the spirit. I actually got so caught up in it that I was getting inspired, myself.

I particularly liked the one for Kindness: I will be kind to the poor, for they are alone. I will be kind to the rich, for they are afraid. I will be kind to the unkind, for such is how God treated me.

Man. That's deep.

I found the contents of this card to be challenging and inspirational at the same time (my favorite kind!) - but I also realized when reading through it, that that's generally what Al does in my life. The challenging part is quite frustrating and annoying sometimes - but it's good for me. He reminds me daily that I'm impatient - either by telling me so, or ... giving me a reason to be impatient and then withstanding the result. Haha.

But yeah ... there are very few people I've met who are just plain kind. But those who are ... man. There's something about them that's just ... amazing.

But the thing that really struck me about this card was that with each page on a different fruit - it says "I choose to be..." Whether I am or not by nature - today I will choose to be.

It gave me a little insight on this whole free will thing - God let's us have the choice, because the choice is oftentimes the hardest part.

I want to try an experiment ... if I choose one fruit per day and try to focus on applying it ... what would happen? Kind to the unkind, for such is how God treated me ...

No comments: