Thursday, September 30, 2004

Breaking everyone in

Best greeting ever: I get to the dojang at 7:30pm and I hear

"Noona! Hi noona!"

Thought I'd be pushing my luck, but hey why not:

"Hi Daniel! Can noona have a hug?"

And to my great surprise, he gives me one. YES! He likes me! The last time he gave me a hug and a kiss was when I had brought him a present. A free hug with no bribing - totally made my day.

And then Teresa's son (forgot his name, really cute kid with white-blond hair and the bluest eyes I've ever seen, can't be more than 2) comes toddling over to me with his arms out and gives me a fat hug.

Aww...TOTALLY made my day.

****************

Sue: "Sir, are you coming to Nationals?"
Jr: "Uhh...well, one of us will be there."
Sue: "But it would be so nice to have you both there - Rob and I are coming just to bring you Starbucks."
me: "Wait a minute, this whole time you've been telling me you're coming for me!"
Jr: "Don't you know that my coffee is more important than you?

(pause)

"Christina. Before you get all sad - it was a JOKE."
me: "I know"

I'm impressed by the quick uptake and apparent sensitivity. Maybe I'm breaking them in...nah, it was probably just a fluke.

I may be the first call lackey but at least I've graduated from Starbucks duty!

****************

"No crying for a week. You haven't cried for 3 days. This is good."


Maybe they realize it's too daunting to live up to no crying, ever. A week I can handle. Maybe a week at a time. We'll see what he has in store for tomorrow, though. I missed Jr, it was good to have him back. He's way more into tough love than Sr, but actually quite generous with his praise when he's pleased. I think I got more positive comments than negative today - though I did get reprimanded on the walk home.

Yay for progress!


No comments: