Preach it, BBMak...
"i think that everyone except *x* will see it as a plus that you train with us. still, i think you should let him know, because he will know that we won't take any crap they give you just sitting down."
So as things get settled and finalized for Camp (3 weeks from now!) I was disheartened to start thinking about politics and how they might affect the outcome. Basically, 6 people from each division were invited to this "Development Camp", a coaching staff of 8 coaches will put us through a weekend of hard training, and in the end they'll pick one person from each division to be the year's Developmental Team member to go to Pan Ams and stuff. Sounds simple enough. However, the nature of such a selection process is highly subjective, and where there is subjectivity in sports, there's politics.
I called in yesterday and got a list of the coaches. I promptly relayed the list to Sabs to get info on them.
So I hate politics. I think it's the stupidest thing ever, and at least to me, what hits home about how innately selfish and sinful we are. Of course it's personal because I've experienced the short end of the stick in a blatant way a couple years ago and it totally broke my heart. When people blatantly cheat or show favoritism in something, particularly a sport - that really bothers me because it goes against everything that athleticism stands for: fair play, good sportsmanship, may the best man win.
In any event, upon hearing Sabs' assessment of people and their predictions of how they would treat me based on the fact that I'm Korean, it made me discouraged. Why does ethnicity have to matter? Why does the anti-Korean sentiment come and bite ME in the butt?
But there's no use in thinking about things I can't control. If the choose to deny me a fair chance, then there's nothing I can do to change that. I can't become white, nor do I want to. I'm not ashamed to say that I train with Sabs - in fact, I'm quite proud of it. There's nothing to do now but to put my head down, train as hard as I can, and just show the best that I have.
In the meantime, it's comforting to know that Sabs are on my side, and that they'll stand up for me if someone hurts me or treats me poorly. Having two lawyers on your side never hurt anyone...
No comments:
Post a Comment