So at the last minute, my cousin invites me to a concert that her daughter (Sammy) is playing violin in. Sammy is 5 and a total superstar...she was awesome. She takes lessons at this Westchester Conservatory something which was having a 75th anniversary concert at Lincoln Center - very big deal.
It was EXCELLENT. These kids just amaze me. Maybe because I'm used to watching (or playing in) recitals and "concerts" of kids where everyone's pretty bad. However, these kids were quite talented.
The best part of the show (besides Sammy) was this little Asian boy with glasses who couldn't have been more than 3 feet tall. He comes out for the string ensemble as the pianist, lugging this big shopping bag. We're all wondering why he's carrying it, and after he bows he opens it up and takes out his music and puts it on the piano. Sure. Normal.
Then he reaches back into the bag and pulls out a big fat telephone book. I haven't even SEEN a phone book since the internet took off, I didn't know they still made yellow pages. He puts the book on the piano bench and climbs on top of it - that's right, he's that little that he needs a booster to reach the keys. Feet dangling and everything - it was the cutest thing I've ever seen. Plus, he was good, too!
No comments:
Post a Comment