The real motivation behind my win this weekend:
"So do you know anything about this first girl?"
"Yeah, I beat her twice before."
"What was the score last time?"
"15-2."
"I want 16 points this time. I'm in a bad mood. Make me happy today."
"Um. OK...but if I score 16, you have to be nice to me...for a month."
"OK, deal."
So I only beat her 11-3.
"That's not enough. Guess I don't have to be nice to you now."
"Wait..that should be good for a week!"
"OK, a week."
"So if I win the next one, that's 2 weeks."
"OK but if you lose, it's double or nothing."
"What? Forget it, I'll quit now and take my week! Fine...you said you wanted me to win it all. How 'bout if I do, you have to be nice to me for a month?"
"Deal."
So the semis were rough (busted elbow and purple fingers) but I came out on top 16-12 against the Malaysian team member. I went off to medical to get my arm braced and taped for the finals. I was seriously thinking about pulling out at this point...but aside from pride and having something to prove and all that - what really motivated me was the "deal".
It was a really good match, felt pretty good out there despite busting the other elbow. I redeemed my back kicks sucking the whole day with one good one that they still talk about. Yay. I was told more within the last 2 days that they were proud of me than in the last 2 years. The final score was 10-7 and after the match ended and I got my big hugs from Sabs, it dawned on me and I started to jump up and down like a freak.
No, the realization was not that I had just won the US Open despite my burnt out feelings of wanting to withdraw only a week ago. The jumping up and down came with a big grin and getting in Sr's face:
"HAH! You have to be nice to me for A MONTH!!!"
"oh nooooooo!!!!"
Totally made my day. Heck, it's gonna make my month. Yay! =)
No comments:
Post a Comment