Ah, if only I had 16 hours to rewatch "Tomato" (my favorite Korean drama ever). What a great drama series. I took these quotes down last year when I watched it last, but I found them last night. But this is when they're having this conversation on the beach in Jeju after the girl fails and nothing goes her way and finally gives up and moves back to Jeju to help her dad with their family business and accept her failure. And the guy (what a stud) shows up at her doorstep to convince her not to give up and come back to Seoul...to not be discouraged and the fight to the end for what she knows she can do.
"실망이 구려워서 희망을 버린거에요?
희망하지 않으면 실망도 없어요."
I'm almost positive I've misspelled something or other - but that was the best I could sound out. The translation (or something close) is:
"Is the disappointment so great that you've thrown your hope away?"
"If you don't hope, there is also no disappointment."
OK it sounds much better in Korean.
(Stop reading if you plan on watching it and don't want me to spoil the ending - though if you know me well enough you'll know that I only watch series that end in a certain way).
Very inspirational, though depressingly dragged out how much the girl got trod on by life and everyone in it for so long. But...she got the guy (WHAT makes lawyers everywhere such cold and unfeeling people?) and the job and all that was wrong was made right in the end, so her suffering was transformed into joy...if only there were always such happy endings...
Jaac is right. No matter what Sabs say, I'm not a pessimist or a cynic. On the outside, maybe. But on the inside I'm a die-hard optimist...and that's why I'm always disappointed.
No comments:
Post a Comment