Sunday, March 13, 2005

turtles and scorpions

So while we were in Atlanta, Chin told this story at dinner that really stuck with me.

There was a scorpion, and he needed to get across the river to get to the other side. But the river was too wide and he couldn't swim. So he went up to the turtle and said "Mr. Turtle, I need to get to the other side of this river, but I can't swim, can you take me across on your back?"

And the turtle said "OK, but on one condition - you can't sting me. Please don't sting me I really don't like being stung." The scorpion agrees and they set off.

Halfway across the river, the turtle goes "OUCH!" - the scorpion had stung him.

"Why did you sting me??" asked the turtle.

The scorpion replied, "I can't help it, it's my nature to sting"

And as they floundered in the middle of the river, the scorpion asked the turtle "if you knew it was in my nature to sting, why did you agree to carry me across the river?"

And the turtle replied "I can't help it, it's my nature to help others."

And they both drowned in the middle of the river.

Edit: Yes, it's depressing. Actually, what's funny is that when Chin told it, we were all sitting around the table listening, waiting...and then someone says "wait, that's it??" We were all waiting for the punchline, the moral of the story...SOMETHING. But when I asked him "what kind of story is that??" he just said "well that's just it...not everything has a happy ending and it's not feel-good, but it's true."

I guess what I took away from this was that people are very different. The most common two groups to compare being men vs. women, but you can look at any two people this way. And in some ways, you can't ask someone to change who they are, even if it will make them a "better" person.

Maybe, instead of asking the scorpion to go against his nature and not sting him, the turtle should have asked himself to go against his nature and not help the scorpion. It's incredibly cynical, but that's kind of how I've been feeling here in New York, particularly in my dealings with real estate. (The profession of SIN, by the way). It's really difficult to not be a sucker...because when you try to be a nice person, then you end up being taken advantage of by someone who just wants to use you. But at some point you just throw up your hands and say I'm going to look out for MY best interest and second-guess anyone who comes along who pretends to want to help you.

I'm rather disappointed by my new cynical outlook. Now whenever ANY real estate broker comes and talks to me, no matter how friendly or genuine they appear - my first thought is "they want my money, and as much of it as they can get their grubby hands on". (Sadly, in Manhattan, this is true 99.99% of the time).

I read this story another way as well - I think in any sort of close relationship, you can see yourself as either the turtle or the scorpion. I guess the question is - do the turtle and the scorpion have to drown? Is there a way, with natures so different, that they can co-exist in harmony?

Hrrrrrrmmmmmmmm....

No comments: