Monday, June 27, 2005

trying to be positive

Non-Sab-related happenings of the last couple weeks:

1) Congratulations to Danna! Very very nice wedding, clearly the OCD in them prevailed as it went off (at least apparently to me as a guest) without a hitch. Even the weather, which was forecasted to rain, came through and it was a gorgeous day in Delaware. SO GOOD to see KCFers again. Ah...how I miss the days of KCF gone by. It wasn't just seeing friends I had left in Boston - though I certainly have missed them terribly - it was seeing them AND friends older than that who have scattered to all ends of the country. (ie. California) *sigh* What a great weekend - I had forgotten just how crazy Jae's driving is, how sarcastic xander can get, shiau_d's "so...", just how baritone bok's voice goes, how eendah goes crazy when a good song comes on, crhim's funny stories...ah...sometimes you just need a dose of friends. More than that, I'm realizing that my life severely lacks the fellowship of my brothers and sisters as I had in college. Likely a large contributer to my unhappiness.

2) Congratulations to Andrew! The spring concert for the Park Avenue Chamber Symphony
was a huge success! The program was awesome (I love Mozart) and he's almost got me convinced to audition for next Fall. I know, I know...I already don't have any spare time as it is...but it would be SO COOL! Beethoven's emporer concerto...but I seriously doubt my violin skills at this point - they must have deteriorated into nothingness. But sitting there listening to the concert gave me the itch...that my place isn't in the audience and that I really do miss playing...and this orchestra actually plays normal music that I like, as opposed to the freaking hard modern junk we played in MITSO...just something to think about.

3) Jr. Nationals - well...I'm proud of my kids even though they lost. Well..."my" kids. More on that later perhaps because there are mixed feelings in there and I'm trying to keep this post positive. But I can honestly say after being head coach and dealing with parents that I understand why coaches go out and drink after tournaments are over. I had 4 nights in a row of margaritas...

4) NYC Ballet - one of my private students is the general manager for the NYC Ballet, and generously gave me tickets to see the last show of Midsummer Night's Dream. WOW. It was great. Can't go wrong with Mendelssohn, and those ballet dancers are crazy good (if not anorexic). I even got a backstage tour, pretty cool stuff.

So my little break from Taekwondo hasn't been for naught. There have been enough distractions to keep me occupied and smiling once in awhile.

No comments: