Sunday, February 04, 2007

yay colts!

"Christian coaches - showing that we can do it the Lord's way"

Tony Dungy is the man.

From Wikipedia:

Contrary to the coaching styles of using profanity and intimidation, getting up at 3 a.m., not living at the complex or sacrificing their families or their faith, the coaches under Dungy are essentially teachers,[6] put faith and family ahead of football and do not belittle his players or scream at them and like Dungy, they are calm when things get worse. They guide instead of goads, and Lovie Smith found that perhaps the most instructive thing of all.

Smith said,

"We talked about how to do it, being a teacher instead of screaming and yelling, all that stuff." [7]

Smith also said,

"I think as you look to young coaches coming up in the ranks, a lot of us have a picture of how a coach is supposed to be, how he is supposed to act...And I think what Tony Dungy showed me is you don't have to act that way."[8]

Dungy said,

"I really wanted to show people you can win all kinds of ways. I always coached the way I've wanted to be coached. I know Lovie has done the same thing. For guys to have success where it maybe goes against the grain, against the culture ... I know I probably didn't get a couple of jobs in my career because people could not see my personality or the way I was going to do it ... For your faith to be more important than your job, for your family to be more important than that job ... We all know that's the way it should be, but we're afraid to say that sometimes. Lovie's not afraid to say it and I'm not afraid to say it."[9]

No comments: