Thursday, October 13, 2005

peeves

I think what ultimately peeves me are people who waltz in and assume a feeling of entitlement that they do not deserve/have not earned. Particularly if this entitlement is in the arena of my personal space or ... personally with me. It's common sense and etiquette - you're new to a place, you see how things operate and you find where you fit in the flow. Or you're a rookie, you learn the ropes....no?

I think some people just don't have filters. Which I suppose is refreshing sometimes - the what you see is what you get thing. But really it's only cute in little children - the ones who say whatever they're thinking without knowing what they're saying or whether it's appropriate or not. Because they're little and don't know any better, and can just flash a smile.

For example, yesterday I was giving a private lesson to this tiny 7 year old girl, and she's just about the cutest non-dongseng thing ever. She got there so early that she'd already tired herself out with warmups and pushups, and had already done some of the drills I usually start off with. So jokingly I asked her "well gee Lindsey, what do you need me for?" and she goes "I don't know!" and flashes a big grin.

HAHA. Her mom and I had a good chuckle. Or I think once I threatened to sit on Daniel and he was like "no, you're big!!!" But they're small and cute.

When you're in you're 20's, you no longer have cute factor to mask the lack of filters or judgement in what actually comes out of your mouth. Heck, I've done it plenty myself but...it utterly amazes me how some people just talk so much and can ask for favors as though they've known someone forever when...no one really knows them at all.

It's those moments when you stand in shock and think...gee, did they really say that? Uhh....and then you don't know how to respond. Like any statement where someone has an outburst of "FINE, don't worry, I won't stalk you!" - now THAT's got some definite not-normal written all over it.

No comments: