Monday, October 03, 2005

unwanted attention part 2

Never a dull moment...

So we were lining up to get our chestpads tied, and I went to the back of the line (I hate it when people just line up in the front - proper etiquette means you always go to the back and tie someone else's hogu...hrmph) Except the last person in line was "B" and he didn't have a hogu because he broke his finger and can't spar. So I was going to go to the front of the line when he interjects that I can hop into line and he can tie mine.

Fine.

Except then he tries to make conversation...which is all well and good, had we something to talk about.

"So...how was your weekend?"

"It was OK. I went to a wedding"

"Oh really? I've never been to a wedding."

"Oh...um, OK" (WHAT are you possibly supposed to say to that?)

"Was it fun?"

"It was OK...weddings are weddings."

"Oh...so...are YOU going to get married anytime soon?"

Gee, as if I didn't spend ALL weekend getting this question. I mean come on, if you're not going to propose or set me up with someone - don't ask me when I'm going to get married. Please, people! And who asks that out of the blue of a stranger??? I was promptly weirded out (kind of like that last time he asked me for a hug) and sort of stammered out a "no" and made an excuse to go talk to Dylan.

Speaking of which, at least least this one made my day. They brought their cousin who was this cute little 2 year old blob, and Dylan was playing with him in the peewee room. ("He doesn't talk much, but for a 2 year old I guess that's pretty good!") After I escaped the 'situation' it was a welcome surprise to go over there and have him run over with a hug and a kiss.

"Hi Dyllie, I missed you!"
"Hi Christinoona, I missed you too!"

Yep, I live for moments like this. J tells me I'm pathetic that I live for the love of a 6 year old, but hey...it still makes my day every time. Though I guess I should work on this getting married thing if I want to have kids. Eh...

So I think I get uncomfortable when people I don't know infringe on my personal space. It's not that I'm unaffectionate - quite the opposite actually. But I think it just weirds me out when people seem to assume a level of comfort and closeness that really doesn't exist. Doesn't happen to often, but...just doesn't sit well with me for some reason.

No comments: