Monday, October 03, 2005

wedding

Well, another one bites the dust. Family weddings are an interesting thing.

First off - congratulations to my cousin G! It was a very pretty outdoor wedding - the first outdoor one I've been to! The weather was gorgeous and Sam and Syd were SO CUTE as flower girls in their matching dresses. Should I ever get married (the all-important question that was asked incessantly this weekend) - I hope I'm not so old that they can't be my flower girls.

This dancing thing - I'm actually not opposed to dancing, and with the right people I've been known to enjoy myself. However, dancing in front of my parents' generation just isn't my thing. Dancing WITH my parents' generation...even worse. Though I must say, G had some good music (Bizarre Love Triangle...the best dance song ever)...and apparently the DJ would have played Korean music too, but I didn't request it when they came around. Too many old people around. BUT I did have the best time dancing with Sam and Syd...when you dance with little kids it doesn't matter that you can't dance, and they're having such a good time, you can't help having a good time too. I hope I marry someone who likes to dance and forces me to.

The bouquet - what I consider the worst part about weddings. They force everyone to get up there, when we've all endured a whole night of interrogation as to why we're not dating and when we're going to get on with it, and then as if that's not enough they stick everyone up there in an embarassing 5 minutes of calculated dodging. At least in Korean weddings, no one jumps and claws for the bouquet...we run away for fear that someone may take it as an opportunity to interrogate us some more about "so...when are YOU getting married?" Unless the bouquet is aimed at someone, which it usually is anyways...I don't want to be the unknowing person who accidentally got in the way of the person who was supposed to catch it...so I hang out in the back and hope it doesn't come my way. It hasn't yet, phew!

The best man's speech - I don't know what it is, maybe it's just because the maid of honor usually cries and it's very touching so you can't really go wrong with hers...but it seems that when the best man tries to make something funny it comes out totally forced and/or insulting. Is that what's supposed to happen? (I really wouldn't know...)

The father-daughter dance - the all-time cannot-fail tearjerker. I have never watched a father dance with the bride and not wanted to cry. I think it's one of the most touching moments ever.

Anyways...now the family of cousins is down to 2. Even though "A" is rumored to go within the next year, which will just leave all the flak for me. Hard to believe my oldest cousins' kids are already hitting 6 and 7. Sometimes time seems to move on without you...

No comments: