Is this normal? I am utterly incapable at attracting normal men.
So at TKD tonight, J shows up after having fallen off the face of the earth for awhile. So, being happy to see him I bound over to the bench with a big hello and say "yo, can I have a hug?" Keep in mind that J is my best TKD friend at WS and we're...well...friends. People who have an established amount of closeness. So he gets off his butt and gives me a hug. Normal. Then this guy ("B") next to him (who hasn't been coming that long and I really don't know him very well) says "can I have a hug?"
Eh??? B and I don't have a relationship beyond acquaintances, and it's just kind of an awkward thing to ask.
So being me and completely confused I just sort of pretended I hadn't heard that. But then he goes on to repeat it, at which point I said "hey J, B wants a hug" and tried to exit gracefully. (And I'm not the most graceful person in the world, particularly in these types of situations).
Is that not weird? I think it's weird. But I feel kind of bad because he's a nice kid and seems to want/need some friends. However, I think that making an effort to reach out is going to lead down a bad road of misunderstandings. How do you befriend someone while making it perfectly clear that...you just don't want to give them a hug?
No comments:
Post a Comment