So yesterday this random guy comes into my work area and does this slow karate style bow and says "I hear that I'm supposed to bow like this to you, since you're a martial arts master". And I'm thinking...who is this guy?? In my mind I can't help but stereotype him as just another white guy who's watched Chuck Norris one too many times. Or (pet peeve #1) someone who thinks that all martial arts are like karate. (Including people who call it karate, people who do wax on wax off motions, etc.)
However, I don't know who this guy is. For all I know he could be a client. A coworker. A vendor. Who knows? With the degree of suck-uppage unclear, I just had to humor him, so I struck up conversation with him.
He proceeds to go on and on about how his son did Taekwondo (eesh, he knew what it was and he STILL sounded like he was talking about karate) from when he was 5 and got his 3rd degree black belt by the time he was 11.
OK if you're in any self-respecting school that isn't totally out for money - that doesn't happen. By the rules in the actual governing body of TKD, you physically can't get your 3rd degree black belt in 6 years, not if you start from white belt. (pet peeve #2 - schools that let you buy a black belt and the parents who think this is meaningful).
Again, humoring the guy, I say "wow, that's pretty fast". And he responds with "well, you know, he was very dedicated, he went to class 2 or 3 times a WEEK!"
OK now I'm having a hard time controlling my facial expressions, which want to express..."EXCUSE ME??" The guy basically paid for a babysitting service for his kid and wants recognition for it? No way. (pet peeve #3 - parents who celebrate the mediocrity of their children and then expect others to recognize it for more than what it is - which is really just mediocrity. think "meet the fockers".)
He then proceeds to explain why his son quit at 11 "because they weren't giving him any guidance or incentive and he couldn't test for his 4th degree until he was at least 17". Now it grates. (pet peeve #4 - the fact that I've been doing this for 15 years, and have proven myself as an athlete, instructor, and coach, but am receiving little guidance and being held at 3rd degree for reasons unknown to me).
So I'm smiling and nodding, and wondering when he's going to leave me alone. (And that's pretty bad because I will welcome any distraction possible at work). So he gets around to his finishing line which is "so are you really going to go to the Olympics?" (pet peeve #5 - that very question. people who think that the only competition out there is the olympics, and implicitly make me feel that any other competition just isn't important.)
Turns out he was a sales guy. He wanted my card, gave me his card (good thing, bc I forgot his name the moment he said it). I suppose I should practice my fake smile and fake laugh and fake interest in inane conversations...but being the type to wear my heart on my sleeve makes these types of situations very difficult. The urge to roll my eyes was killing me...
No comments:
Post a Comment