Saturday, April 15, 2006

sleep deprivation

Sometimes you don't know how tired you are until you have a chance to take a nap. It's like your body can just keep going until it knows it's OK to stop, and then it just shuts down. I remember in college I was notorious for being able to fall asleep anywhere, anytime. In fact, I think I've managed to take a nap in everyone's room at some point or other...and on any random couch across campus...or sitting on the floor in a hallway.

Haha, I even remember in 2.007 lab, Woodie (my prof) was explaining something to our lab group on the chalkboard when suddenly a big piece of chalk flies across the table and hits me in the chest. Little did I know that he throws chalk at people who fall asleep in his classes. (And that embarassment was promptly an example to all not to doze off in that class). Well, that and as the class went on, we'd be machining and it'd be very bad to fall asleep at a saw or lathe.

Even at my old workplace, I was known as the narcoleptic. Tara seriously thought I had sleep apnia (whatever that means). 5 minutes into a meeting, and I'd glaze over. (Granted, these meetings weren't interesting, and I never really had to say anything). I think I even managed to zone out in a one-on-one meeting once.

I've been pretty good about not falling asleep at my new workplace, though it's required a lot of gum, candy, and the occasional soda and walk outside around the building to wake up.

So yesterday at 3pm, an announcement comes over the intercom saying "the office will be closing now". So those of us who came in decided to go home. I had some time to kill, got my glasses fixed, watched some tv...and around 6 decided to take a little nap before heading off to church.

And then I wake up, look at the clock and think "oh man, I overslept! I was supposed to be at church by 7!"

And then I realize...it's not 8pm. It's 8am.

I just slept for 14 hours.

No comments: