All I have to say is...sumo wrestling has got to be the most spectator unfriendly sport to be on ESPN. Today Y and I convinced the boss to go to ktown for lunch instead of the chinese place we always go to, and keumkangsan had this huge tv on the wall showing ESPN. Seeing as how I eat lunch every day with middle-aged and old-aged men, I frequently end up twiddling my thumbs or daydreaming as they read the paper or talk amongst themselves about work. So I welcomed the prospect of Sportscenter.
Until they started showing this world sumo tournament that took place at MSG. Now I have to say - whatever it is those guys are wearing, it's not flattering and it doesn't look too comfortable. Considering that it's a perfectly legal move to grab the loincloth (let's face it, that's what it is) and yank on it to try and pick the opponent up or move them around...I was just thinking, do you just end up accustomed to a perpetual wedgie?
And then...the cloth thing...isn't very well designed. Meaning, these are big guys. Anywhere from 200-500 lbs. (Yes, they listed their weights, and there were guys well into the 400's). There can only be so much muscle before you just end up with a whole lot of fat.
It really wasn't doing much for my appetite to watch these massive guys with massive man-boobs and buttcheeks grunting and trying to push each other out of the ring. Somehow I just don't see the strategy in a sport that lasts about 30 seconds. I found myself rooting for the "little guy" - the 230 lb dude who ended up just getting picked up by the 411 lb dude and shoved and landed on. I gotta hand it to him for getting back up.
But seriously...how do you live through all the wedgies?
No comments:
Post a Comment