So I finally got around to filling out my new 401k forms for my new job.
So if you've tried to invest in stocks and studied the options...you know that it's confusing. Fortunately, the husband of my Jewish mother is a finance guy and was helpful with walking me through the garble of 401k packets. We weighed out the options, analyzed the past few years, diversified...and I still feel like I took a shot in the dark. It was an "educated guess" of sorts, but...really, it's still gambling. Being risk-averse, it didn't sit well with me to choose a portfolio that was extremely high risk...but that's apparently what you're supposed to do when you're young.
That being said (jumping to another topic which I'll relate back later), I really enjoyed another quality Bible study this Fri in small group. TGIF, how I've missed you. I suppose in light of the things on my mind as of late, it was a timely study. (Phil. 4:4-9). We spent a lengthy chunk of the time discussing what it means to rejoice, particularly in times of suffering. Looking at Paul, I think that the true source of his joy in times of hardship is hope. Even when he was imprisoned and alone, he's able to give encouragement to "rejoice always".
Sometimes I feel like I have to hit rock bottom to realize the power of hope over despair.
Mumbles said something interesting at the end of sg, talking about Revelations and what it's like when you know the ending of a story. Revelations - as confusing and potentially scary as it is - is knowing that we win and Satan loses. That despite whatever suffering and turmoil and injustice and sacrifice happens between now and then - that we win because Jesus has already secured the victory.
That's kind of crazy. It made me think about a quote I saw on one of those quotable mugs: "what would you do if you knew you could not fail?"
I guess that's what hope is...having faith that the outcome will be great, despite however difficult the path may be to get there.
I think all this 401k hoopla made this concept make more sense...how easy would it be to invest in a stock if you knew that when you cashed out at retirement, it would be successful? The investment advice that they give 20-somethings is to go high risk, despite market fluctuations and dips, because eventually it will compound higher than where you started. "Eventually".
Having eternal perspective is having hope. And hope is what leads to joy in times of hardship. So maybe when Paul is encouraging the Philippians to "rejoice always", it's another way to encourage them in faith...
No comments:
Post a Comment