In this fuzzy ambiguous stage of "young adulthood", I often feel trapped between the self-discovery and I-can-do-anything stage of college/grad school and the responsibility and settling down that comes with marriage and parenthood.
So on Sunday, I rushed home after church to meet Susie un-nee as she dropped off her two daughters, S^2, for a playdate with eemoh. Sam is 7 and Syd is 3 - very cute and generally good kids. I love my girls, they're always good for an afternoon of fun and affection.
In my attempt to force some fresh air and exercise on them, we went out in search of a playground. After a couple failed attempts, I finally just took them to the Dinosaur Park next to the dojang where I used to take Daniel. Thus ensued an hour of monkey bars and climbing around - and running around under them to catch them if they fell, hoisting them up when things were too high, trailing them with a bottle of water and trying to get them to hydrate, tying shoes, and the constant back-and-forth of "eemoh come here!" coming from 2 different directions. I swear, you become a mother and somehow you get bionic arms that can suddenly carry weights you could never even lift before. Screw weight-training - I should just babysit to get my arms stronger.
So after awhile, I had two rosy-cheeked little girls, ready to head home. Normally, walking home from that park takes me 10 minutes or less. I forget that little legs move slowly. And little mouths whine.
"Are we there yet?"
"Not yet, Sam"
"How about now?"
"Not much farther than the last time you asked"
"How about now?"
"Sam, we're not there yet."
"How far IS IT???"
"Just 4 more blocks"
"My feet huuuuuuurt"
"I'm sorry, sweetie, but I can't carry you and Sydney at the same time. Can you be patient for just a little longer, and you can take off your socks and color when we get home!"
"Oh, alriiiiiight."
10 seconds later.
"Are we there yet?"
As much as I aspire to be a soccer mom...clearly the time has not come. I love my nieces, but I have to say, the ability to just give them back to their parents at the end of the day when they're tired and cranky and whining...was a relief.
Well, that and...for how much I love board games...one can only take so much "Pretty Pretty Princess." That has got to be the girliest game I've ever played...
No comments:
Post a Comment