Thursday, August 31, 2006

learning

It's been a week of firsts. You learn a lot about yourself when you have to do something for the first time.

1) Sabs taught me how to play poker as part of my "training" in strategy for this coming year. As stressful as it is, I'm getting hooked on Hold 'Em. It was a useful exercise in looking beyond the match at hand, making quick decisions, taking calculated risks, and recovering quickly when things go awry. Strangely applicable to TKD, or any sort of high level of competition where it comes down, not only to what you have, but what you can make your opponent think you have.

Essentially, it's teaching me how to lie.

2) I learned how to play basketball. Man, for someone who calls herself an athlete, there are a lot of sports that I just have never played before. It was pretty sad how much I was huffing and puffing jumping around.

I think my inability to make fast decisions and lack of confidence came to a head when Jooho just came up to me and snatched the ball out of my hands, leaving me just standing there wondering if he'd actually done that. Big bully! Haha...it's a good thing Mumbles and JH are patient (and crazy good!) I was totally the weak link on our team.

3) I learned how to play pool. Well, re-learned I suppose, because I've played once before. I think Melissa would agree with me that JH is the best teacher ever - I love thinking in physics!

I find it fascinating how once you get good (this is not me, this is my observation), you start thinking ahead to where you want the cue ball to rebound off to be in a good position for your next shot. Ryu pointed out to me that you shouldn't always take the easy shots first, for the sake of making them. It made me think about the necessity of seeing the big picture to win.

Good stuff...I think my valuable lessons can be summed up as such:

Think less.
Think fast.
Think ahead.

Strangely - they all helped me in sparring practice this week. Thanks, guys!

No comments: