According to wikipedia, activation energy is defined as "the minimum energy necessary for a specific chemical reaction to occur."
My parents have obviously given up on me and decided to take matters into their own hands and sell me out. For the past few weeks, the topic of our calls (which has made me call them less and less) has gone from them suggesting the prospect of being set up with some guy (who they don't even know), to non-discreetly hinting and asking what I think, to attempting to force and command me to do it.
And if there is one thing I highly HIGHLY dislike - it's being bullied against my will. Nothing makes me more stubborn than someone unreasonably wielding what little power they have.
So now that I'm stuck between this rock and hard place, I thought quite a bit about this whole setup deal. I'm not opposed to it, in theory - in fact, it seems to be a perfectly viable and perhaps necessary way to meet other eligible people who are looking to date and get married. However, I would pre-empt that position by adding the caveat that the setup should occur between people who know both parties well, and can vouch for their characters.
ie. two sets of old Korean parents who are worried that their children will not get married to other eligible Koreans throwing them at each other - ain't it.
That being said, I thought about what it would take for me to agree to being set up. And perhaps it's because I may be tutoring chemistry again in the near future, but it's just like activation energy (Ea).
The graph of Ea is typically parabolic, with some starting level of energy, a 'hump', and then a lower final energy state. Unless there's enough energy in a reaction to get over the 'hump' - the reaction won't happen. So with regards to interest for dating - said person has to have made an impression that exceeds the Ea for there to be a desire to get to know him in such a context. Seems logical, no? We're busy people - there isn't time to waste on a dead-end prospect. I will make time where I want to - but I won't waste it. The Ea varies per guy, and there are certainly catalysts (a substance that decreases the activation energy of a chemical reaction without itself being changed at the end of the chemical reaction.) that come into play.
So with regards to this guy, I just don't see it overcoming the Ea. He's 9 years older than I am, he lives across the country, he's coming recommended 3 degrees of separation removed, and being forced on me by my parents. I actually have no idea why he wants to meet me (then again, if his side is anything like my parents, he probably doesn't and it's just being forced on him). How well do they really think we're going to get to know each other via email?
I'm telling you - my parents have given up on me and sold me out. I knew I should have gotten a fake boyfriend just to tide them over.
In fact, maybe I will. And to serve them right, I should find one that's not Korean.
No comments:
Post a Comment