Friday, July 15, 2005

3 types of people

There are 3 types of people out there. And given different types of situations, perhaps each of these 3 approaches has its time and place. However, it seems that some people lack courtesy, discretion, and a sense of place - noon-chi-ga-ubs-uh. (I wish Korean worked on my comp here).

1) People who wait to be invited. If you're a new person in a setting, or if you're a junior in a group of seniors (where you don't belong anyways) - it's common etiquette that you wait to be invited before joining into things. It's perfectly natural that you might want to be included, but it shouldn't be expected. For example, if I was a freshman, I wouldn't necessarily assume that I'm welcome to tag along with a group of seniors. If they so choose to invite me, then I would gladly go, but it would be entirely presumptuous to just show up. Take Richard. He's a 3rd dan and has been forever. Clearly he is proficient at Taekwondo. But when he comes to a new school, he lines up in the back, even behind the color belts, until someone tells him to line up in the front. I absolutely cannot stand when new black belts come in and assume that everyone is going to step aside for them. So it should be with rude, presumptuous color belts - they ought to make it clear what they want, but wait to be invited before intruding on other people's valuable time.

2) People who ask. This is the most direct, possibly most efficient, yet potentially uncomfortable when the asker is (again) presumptuous and has no sense (noon-chi) as to what is appropriate. It assumes an often false sense of camaraderie or closeness with the person being asked, which is often not the case. It's the people who ask "can I come?" when you're talking about a situation in which they don't belong. For example, if I'm hanging out with my friends who are a couple and they talk about going to the movies - I wouldn't ask if I could tag along, because I wouldn't want to put them in an uncomfortable situation where they might want to say no but would feel rude saying no. Or another example I heard of recently, if people are going on a trip to go train somewhere, and someone new just asking if they can come along. These people are more often than not what I call 'takers' - people who think about taking but rarely think about giving. People who feel a sense of entitlement for whatever delusional reason that they feel their existence merits. Which ironicially enough, doesn't merit much. But at least they ask, and if one is so bold to be asking and is able to take a rejection in stride, I suppose it's acceptable. But it still tends to put the person being asked in an awkward spot.

3) People who just do whatever they want, with utter disregard to anyone else. I cannot STAND these types of people. Particularly when their actions really do affect other people. I find it entirely presumptuous when a beginner plants herself in advanced classes and expects to be taught - one who kicks everyone in the thighs and crotch, has the audacity to CORRECT higher belts when she herself doesn't know what she's doing, and slows the class down because she has absolutely nothing to contribute. What is further maddening is the fact that said beginner is also one who leaves not only all of her sparring gear in a locker overnight (color belts are not allowed to have overnight lockers to begin with, and sparring gear should be aired out every night) - but takes a shower after class (splashing water EVERYWHERE) and then leaves all of her sweaty dirty underwear, belt, and uniform in the locker room as well. Was this person raised by WOLVES? Is that not totally disgusting?? Hang your underwear at HOME!

I have disliked a great many people in my lifetime, but I think she could be a winner on the scale of people whose existences bother me. It may take all types to make up a world, but all these types have to live together (and share a locker room).

Why can't people be considerate and have manners? And why is it that those who are higher up and whose opinions actually matter towards implementing changes around here refuse to see what's going on and do something about it...it's even more upsetting that somehow they only choose to see the enthusiastic hardworking side and seem to LIKE that. If only they knew the reason that everyone else can't stand her...well, if only their egos would let them listen, but I'm not allowed to speak any more truth around here.

End rant.

New rants on the horizon:

1) Delusional parents who think their kids are the best thing since sliced bread and feel that my life would be so enriched if I knew every detail why. To which I want to take up HJ's suggestion, take a marker and write "NOT SPECIAL" on their kids' foreheads because honestly, most of them aren't particularly extraordinary.

2) The inequity that is promotion tests.

3) The fragile male ego and how I have to feed it, despite the inefficiency that is being macho.

No comments: