Sunday, July 17, 2005

only child

When I was growing up, I was so jealous of my friends who had siblings. Other than the fights they would have, I was jealous of the fact that they always had someone to play with. This is why I have such an obsession with board games (or games in general) - because I never had anyone to play them with growing up. It was just me and the Nintendo.

But as I see the other side, especially now having grown up a bit - siblings can be a curse sometimes. Particularly when you have irresponsible ones, where it's not a matter of personality conflict or closeness of space anymore, but real differences in life choices, and how under the name and ties of family, you get affected by each other.

I know that when I get even older, I will regret that my children won't have aunts and uncles from my side of the family. (Good God, I hope I don't marry an only child, that'd be sad). There are still a great many things I wish I had from the benefits having brothers and sisters bring. But that assumes the best of siblings, and that is often not the case. And for all the headaches and potential unnecessary disasters...I will thank God that I'm an only child. *sigh* I may bear the burden of caring for my parents alone when they reach old age, but somehow it may seem easier just know that the burden is solely mine rather than expecting someone to share it.

I still wish I had siblings. But for the risk that I'd end up with bad ones...if I had the chance (with the current state I'm in) - I'd stay an only.

No comments: