If wishes were fishes...I'd have more weekends of fun!
Realization - I really ought to spend more time with friends. I'm still recuperating in terms of sleep, but I guess I should play lots before I get too old and crusty (and immobile, at this rate).
1) Moving into the apt - Jaac, Adodo, and Scottie came over on Friday and we had a furniture building party amidst Chinese food. I am reminded that Ikea furniture, while nice and cheap, is probably not meant to be taken apart and put together multiple times. I think they all hate my loft now, but it's sort of built, except one of the legs doesn't quite touch the floor. Awesome. Somehow the length of rope that connects the bottom of the ladder to one of the legs has to be at JUST the right length for everything to balance on the ground. The rope was put in too short, therefore, the loft is balanced on 3 legs and the ladder. I haven't actually done calculations (though I was tempted, a la 2.001 truss failures and 2.002/2.72 shear forces and bolt failures) but my gut says that this is not safe to sleep on until the weight is distributed on all 4 legs. Thoughts, oh engineers?
2) Quest for coolness - after some assemblage, the boys had to leave, but then Rich arrived. The first thing he noticed was that I lacked an air conditioner, when he started sweating bullets. I guess I just don't sweat as much, but it was indeed a nasty humid night, so we went out on a quest to buy a fan. One thing I love about NYC (and there are very few of these points, as my rantings will show) is that there are still stores and restaurants open at midnight. However, our quest was a bust, as we went to every single Duane Reade and Rite Aid in a 10 block span and found nothing. Boo...
3) Sparring prac - I'm down to 1 good limb. Re-aggravated my sprained wrist on Sr, banged my bubble-lumpy shin on Jen, and Jr cracked my other arm in half after repeated blocking incidents. Not a good day for my body...though it felt good to not totally die during the burnouts.
4) THE HAIRCUT - after 2 years of begging, nagging, commanding, negotiating, and LOSING - he finally gave in to the haircut. That's right - yaksok was honored. Korean rules. It went from Beatles style to ... well I don't know. Still long but at least cleaned up. It was quite the spectacle, with Jaac, Adodo, and Scott laughing outside of Supercuts when I literally had to fight him to drag him inside. The lady looked half confused and half amused as we each gave her different directions on how much to cut. Eesh, what is it with boys and not wanting to cut their hair??? Sue got the boys to spar harder by announcing that the loser would have to get a haircut...silly boys.
5) Dinner with Princeton alums - half of whom I didn't know, but it was good to see the Hat again, and it was his birthday. We had a good time, and I went down to the village like a normal 20-something. Apple Restaurant or something like that - I'd recommend it.
6) Chinatown with Grosse - one of my best high school friends is now in NY, and she had a craving to get boba in Chinatown, so we trekked out on Sunday for an afternoon of dirty hole-in-the-wall tea and buns and 99 cent stores. Awesome. And cheap. I got a bathmat that looks like footprints. =)
7) BBQ with the family up in Westchester. I love my cousins...it was fun galore. Except every time I got sleepy I'd get a 2 year old hand across my face with a big grin and a "WAKE UP!!!" Hahaha...gotta love Syd.
And now...it is back to the grind of the weekdays...
No comments:
Post a Comment