Tuesday, November 28, 2006

hodge podge

I've turned my suitcases upside down, yet again. It's official.

I lost my camera and my cell phone in Argentina. And the irony is, I can't even call Verizon to tell them my phone was lost/stolen - because I don't have a phone to call them with.

My mom thought I died because I hadn't called. And apparently left me a frantic message on my cell every hour since yesterday. I have to say - I'm half glad the phone is gone so I don't have to listen to all those messages. (Until I realized how freaking expensive new phones are at full price).

Usually I never go out with the team on the last night, but I figured I wouldn't be a party pooper this time and forced myself to go out. I must admit it was fun, but...I think this is God's way of telling me I shouldn't be drinking. Impaired judgement and lack of memory = loss of expensive electronic devices.

* * * * *

They say that imitation is the highest form of flattery. I thought it was super cute when Jax, my 10 year old student that I tutor and teach in Taekwondo, came out of his room after our session today wearing his black North Face fleece and looking proud of himself. I had just put on my black NF fleece to leave, and he thought it was cool to have the same jacket as me. It was pretty cute. (Even though black NF jackets are pretty common).

Today he asked me what pi was, why there were so many digits, and whether they were important. It was actually really fun to take a digression from fractions to talk about significant figures and geometry.

I love smart kids.

* * * * *

Dazzo picked me up from the airport today and I made the rounds at my old company. Gosh, I really miss my old coworkers. I didn't realize how awesome it was to be in a work environment where you actually have friends.

Dazzo even got me a present - a box of hot n' spicy tabasco flavored cheez-its. My favorites source of fat and salt. We used to eat them all the time, I got him hooked the year I was there. How thoughtful - it made my day.

* * * * *

I came home and my flowers were dead. Last week someone sent me flowers to my work - it was really encouraging (and really embarassing). I think it was someone from sg based on the note. (Thanks!) I haven't really received flowers before (except that time fsgl's got me flowers for Mother's Day - dang that's one way to say 'we love you and you're old') so I didn't really know what to do. Whoever it was was super thoughtful and sent a vase too, because I don't own one. I read all the instructions on how to cut them and added the special powdery thing to the water...but I think I neglected to realize that you have to keep giving them water instead of just sticking them in water. Oops. But they were pretty while they lasted, I love roses. It was such a cheery addition to my apt in the midst of the chaos of packing last week.

It's funny, that whole exercise with praying for and encouraging someone else in the sg was so people could learn to give without expecting recognition, and to receive and be blessed without feeling like something is owed. Little did I know that it would come back and I would be the recipient of such encouragement. Ministry is so unexpected like that sometimes.

No comments: