Thursday, November 30, 2006

harmony

I will preface this entry by saying that I'm sure that God doesn't care whether we are in tune or musically talented when we praise. And that I'm quite thankful to not actually have perfect pitch.

That being said, I was noticing something recently that made me think.

So every week I meet up with my sgl to prep for small group, which includes going over the Bible study, logistics, some singing and praying. Good stuff. Seeing as how I can't play guitar beyond three chords and no strums, he will play in the background during the singing and praying part. Which means he gets to pick the songs and the keys.

I noticed when we first started meeting up that he likes to sing songs in keys that are somewhat high. I'm not sure how it works for the average guy's range vs. the average girl's range and I know I'm an alto - but I noticed that when I tried to match his melody an octave higher, I'd often find myself straining to hit the notes in a register that wasn't quite comfortable to me. And when you're singing with one other person - there's really nowhere to hide. If you hit the wrong note, it's glaringly obvious. If you hit the note but only with half your voice, it's glaringly obvious.

So at one point, rather than trying to force it, I decided to take a different approach and try to harmonize with him, so that my part would be in my comfortable range. Not that I'm necessarily good at harmonizing, sometimes I'm sure I'm just wrong, but for the most part, it works out better that way.

I think this is indicative of what working with someone has been like, and how I'm being stretched. Partnering in ministry doesn't necessarily mean that you're both singing the melody all the time. Perhaps you can, and so long as you're together, it works, but even when two people are perfectly in tune singing melody, it's kind of ... boring.

The harmony is certainly not always as 'glorious' or in the 'spotlight' as the melody is - believe me, I've played 2nd violin often enough to know - but it brings a depth to the melody when it complements it, and with that support, lets the melody come out stronger. And in the end, what it does is make the actual music.

The funny thing is, in order to harmonize, you have to know the melody and know it well. To know where it is going, where it has been, and be able to determine on the fly what it needs. It's not really an ignorance or a step back, but requires the ability to plan ahead.

So perhaps all this straining to hit these high notes that my voice was not made in range for is indicative of a greater need to step back and let someone else sing the melody. Perhaps this is a time to learn how to harmonize, because it's something I'm capable of, but doesn't come naturally. And perhaps harmonizing is not necessarily hiding behind the melody - but supporting it.

No comments: