Dangit, I don't know if I'm spelling that right.
Well, that was quite an experience. I've never actually thrown a party before. Well, not a party centered around alcohol with people getting drunk all around. Not that I really threw it because it was all my roommates' doing and nearly all their friends. We have so much crap in our fridge left, none of us are actually going to drink Bud and Miller. So if you want crappy beer, come on over.
Yes, I need to loosen up, but...I just don't really like having my living quarters invaded by people I don't know. It would have been one thing if they were all friends of Grace's and My's - I've met or heard about them, at least. But then when people start bring people (which I think is very rude if you don't inform the host that you're going to crowd their apartment with 5 more people)...then it got hairy. I mean, what do I know about these people? Not just whether they would steal or break something in the apartment, but on top of all the alcohol going around, you never know what people will do.
I was dying until Cha, Liza, and Ripan got here. Like, literally looking at the clock every 2 minutes hoping it'd hit midnight so all these people would go home. Not sure where the party-pooper came from but...I worked a full day, I was sick, and I could have gone to any number of other New Year's Eve celebrations with MY friends or coworkers.
Anyways, once I had people to talk to it was cool. Yay for Liza, Ripan, and Cha! Even though the freak security guard tried to get everyone to pay to go up on the roof, we got up there anyways. If I had the patience, I would sue him because that's just retarded. Your useless ass is getting paid to stand there all night and keep drunk people from wrecking the apt building (which happened anyways judging by all the bannister railings that were torn off in the stairwells) - I'm very sure it's illegal for you to be trying to charge a fee for the residents who pay RENT in this place to go up on our own roof.
SO...the grand conclusion of my New Year's Eve experience:
*Despite the fact that on the outside I'm the racist one of the apt - all of Grace's friends were Asian. Mostly Chinese. Liza was the token white person. Therefore, I'm not the resident racist. =)
*Remy is gross. Burns more than soju going down. Which is why most of it went down the drain.
*Raspberry vodka is also gross. Or whatever that was.
*Vanilla coke is extremely gross. I have no idea what was mixed in but that Coke was no good.
*I think someone hit on me but I'm not sure. As much as my friends tell me that if someone ever DID hit on me I'd be too clueless to know...this guy was giving me a lecture on why dating is like economics. Well, at least his attempt was somewhat intelligent. I can appreciate nerdiness.
"So why don't you have a boyfriend?"
"Dunno. Just haven't met the right person."
"Ah, so you're picky."
"Eh. Yeah, maybe I'm expensive."
"See, it's like supply and demand. You have to let the market know that you're out there. What do you do? Where do you meet people? You go to work. You go to Taekwondo. You go to church. If those markets haven't resulted in a buyer, then you have to find a new market."
"That takes so much effort. Besides, if I find a new market and find a buyer, then he's going to have to come to MY market anyways."
"Well maybe you should be less expensive."
"Yeah...maybe when I hit 30 I'll lower my price."
Dude. So for one thing - I'm not a product on display. For another thing - buyers should come to the store, the product should not have to go door to door looking for a buyer. Cheap products are bought by cheap people. Maybe finding a buyer isn't my sole purpose in life. Maybe if I just live life and grow from my experiences (RAWR why do I always sound like Sabs?) then I'll become someone who deserves to be expensive and someone with the means (not monetary) will make the purchase. But...I'M NOT A PRODUCT! Mmph. Not totally liking this analogy.
*Living in Times Sq. does have its benefits - we got to see the ball drop live. Confetti and all. Wow, the environmental engineer that I'm becoming was totally apalled at the waste of paper. Made me want to go out and hug a tree.
*New Year's Eve should be spent with people you love, and I'm glad to have spent it with my friends (well, and all these other drunk people who came along with that). My ultimate favorite New Year's Eve experiences are still Urbana 2000 and Urbana 2003...but then again, when else do you get to ring in the new year with 20,000 other people? 2002 was fun, at the Embarcadero in SF (lots and lots of drunk people) with pyang and the 떡국 adventures (never buy 떡 from a Chinese supermarket - drive the extra 2 minutes to the Korean market). But otherwise, I've slept through most other ones. It is indeed a time to celebrate and call the people you love and wish them well.
*Alcohol is still bad. I think I realized that I like alcohol in moderation in a celebratory setting (ie. not in drowning your sorrows) and only in the company of people that I like and trust. And having had the absence of such opportunities for quite awhile, my tolerance is shot. Sad.
No comments:
Post a Comment