Wednesday, December 27, 2006

huh

I was helping my mom at the store the other day, and I made some observations in my 8 hours of standing behind the cash register. I always thought it was uncanny how my mom could pinpoint who would actually be making purchases and who would try on 10 things and leave without buying anything. Sharp eye, that one...though after what, almost 20 years of this business I guess you become pretty observant.

-Fashion appears to recycle itself, and what is 'in' appears to be what I thought went out with the 60's and 70's. So does that mean we're going back to oversized sweaters and tight pants in about 10 years? *shudder*

-I'd estimate that 80% of the couples that came in were white guys with Asian girls. More fodder for the AMC. (Asian Male Crisis, as defined to me by bkam and nathanh as +10 for every Asian guy/white girl couple and -1 for every white guy/Asian girl couple...apparently at the end of the day the score will still be negative).

-It's a small world after all. Around mid-day, this tall Chinese girl walked in, tried on a few items, generally browsed around, taking her time...and as she came up to the counter, she kept looking at me funny, as though she was trying not to be obvious that she was looking at me. So I thought she looked familiar, and after an awkward pause I said "uh...Jen?" Yeah, it turns out that she was an old West Sider, Sabs' old protege before me, she and I didn't overlap at all in our Taekwondo careers, as she moved out to CA for med school and residency. Clearly she didn't expect me to be working the register of a small business on the west coast...what were the chances?

-Radio stations just recycle after about an hour. No wonder my parents hate pop and hip hop music. At least our store in SF is in a hippie/yuppie neighborhood, so they had a variety station on...our old store attracted a different demographic, so they used to play hip hop/rap all the time and it would drive them crazy when I would choose to play those stations when we drove anywhere because they were so sick of it. Back when the Eminem "Slim Shady" song came out and was constantly playing on the radio, we were in the car once and my mom said "I don't understand why they keep telling him to please stand up...I wish he would just sit down!"

I don't think I've ever laughed so hard...

No comments: