To briefly recount what I think is the funniest mom story ever - and I'm not doing this justice because I don't remember all the details, but...here goes.
My friend J decided to be a good son (dang...really good) and drive cross country with his mom when he moved from CA to NY. Man, that's crazy patience...props to J for even attempting this endeavor. So after a week of nagging and commenting, he starts to get annoyed. But he tries to be nice and suck it up...until one day towards the end when she's commenting on his driving, it just gets to be too much, and he snaps.
"Um-mah, I'll give you $1000 if you don't talk to me for the next 3 hours!"
Funny enough, this story has totally helped me curb my annoyance with my mom. Whenever I come home and I spend an extended period of time with her, I end up getting really annoyed at all the nagging, and end up not being very nice in my attempts to get away from it. Every year, I tell myself that I'm going to be mature and grown up, and see the heart behind what she says and does instead of the gut reaction of throwing a tantrum and running out of the room. And every year, that only lasts for about an hour or two before my head wants to explode...but ever since J's story, whenever I think I'm going to lose it, I think in my head "um-mah I'll give you $1000 if you don't talk to me for the next 3 hours!" and I start cracking up. And it distracts me from the fact that I'm being told for the 5th time today not to rub my eyes, to drink more water, to eat apples, to wear another layer, that I need a haircut...yeah.
So thanks J. Your story is keeping the peace in the Park house.
No comments:
Post a Comment