In light of Thanksgiving, I realize that I don't give thanks enough for the blessings I receive. For all the griping that I do about the things that bother me (and goodness gracious there's plenty of THAT out there), I often overlook how good God has been, even in the little things. I remember having my small group keep prayer journals once, to document what we prayed for and when/how they were answered. I think this exercise, while seemingly tedious, can be so helpful in seeing that God does eventually answer all prayers (perhaps not in the way we wished for, but He does answer them). And when done over time, also helps put into perspective that God always provides.
This TG in particular, I'm thankful for family.
My actual family - extended though they may be - that I got to spend time with yesterday. For my 언니's and 오빠 who go so out of their way to take care of me, I think after all the years of being without siblings and independent, it's been a pleasant surprise to have them around regularly. For the joy of laughing with children and getting to be 이모...yesterday Sydney looked at the huge turkey roasting and said "that's a big chicken!" It was one of the cutest things I've seen all week. I think I've changed my mind...I used to just want little boys but little girls are so much cuter. They have more ae-gyoh. Though I dunno, I have just as much fun with my girls (S^2) as my boys (D^3)...it's just different kinds of fun I suppose. (Why do Koreans name their children so they have the same initials?) Haha...
The TKD family - for how dysfunctional we may be sometimes...it's a strangely tight-knit community. For my Jewish family and Jewish mother...for my boys...for tBos and MIT...for the kids who make all the teaching worth it, for Sabs despite all the heartache...for the opportunity to be noona. Gosh, Mr L almost made me cry when he brought me a cake on my birthday and told me I was like family. Though it may drive me crazy at times, and it certainly ain't ideal...it's still a home away from home and there's plenty to be thankful for.
And in the past couple months especially, I've realized (again) the importance of Christian community. Elizabeth and Clarence were here last week for a conference, and it was so good to catch up with them...I can't believe my kids are grown up and seniors now...I still remember asking them to be small group leaders, and their questions of "what if I ask a question and nobody answers??" Looking back, the hole that ACF left was more significant than I realized, and in the last couple months at RWC, it's been a process of re-learning that community is necessary to grow. It's been great to study Philippians in that sense...all the themes of partnership everywhere just confirms it.
I think it's cool to think of all the different "families" around...but also for the different roles you get to play. Sometimes noona/un-nee, sometimes dongseng...sometimes eemoh, sometimes jokah...pretty darn cool.
No comments:
Post a Comment