After my first week at my new job...my brain was fried. Like, actually fatigued. But not from engineering.
From Korean.
My first day on the job, I ended up speaking in Korean about 85% of the day. Tues and Weds, I was translating notes in CAD drawings.
Word of the day: 설치 상세도. "installation details"
My supervisor is Korean. My coworker that appears to be mentoring me is Korean. The projects I'm working on are Korean. What's cool yet difficult is the fact that they're teaching me a lot...but explanations are mostly in Korean. So not only am I learning new software and new engineering...but it's in another language.
Who knew that Korean would ever have actually been helpful for anything other than speaking with my parents and listening to kpop? Not I...
But overall, I like it. Despite the dumpy crowded office and lack of perks, the work so far is interesting and I got to do real calculations (ie. real engineering) last week. And we got to go to k-town for lunch. =)
But really...my brain kinda hurts. Then again maybe it's all this secondhand smoke I'm inhaling at lunchtime.
* * * * *
Thursday my supervisor walked into our cube area and chatted with me a bit, then turned to the guy next to me (who is Indian) and said something in Korean. To which Hirak answered "Uh, I'm not Korean!" (As if you couldn't tell by looking at him). It's funny, I think especially since I came along and 2 of the 3 people on this project are Korean speaking, Hirak gets lumped in. Poor guy.
It reminds me of college, whenever I got really excited or really upset at something, it would come out in Korean. And when I used to hang out a lot with Alex, he'd throw up his hands and say "sorry dude...not Korean". (He's Chinese).
No comments:
Post a Comment