Tuesday, March 07, 2006

backwards...

I can't claim to understand men, but I'm trying...and clearly failing. (Note: my intention is not to male-bash, and I don't think this is the case with everyone...I'm just frustrated by one particular situation).

(I suppose you can call this adventures in Korean part 1.5 since the situation seems to be exacerbated by involving traditional-esque middle aged Korean men)

So from my observation, it appears that the only way to get them to listen to me is by somehow making them think that they came up with my idea themselves so they can mandate it.

For example. I go to the doctor. He says that given the fact that my finger is broken, I tore a ligament and my last knuckle is bruised - that I shouldn't spar or put my hand in a risk of getting hit. Top that off with hurting my knee last week and it being very important to have good partners (ie. not some random color belt who can't hold or be a good target). Seems to make sense, no?

I email them multiple times mentioning the report and the fact that I shouldn't spar, and what exactly was risky for my knees.

So what is the first thing we do on Thursday in class? "Everyone pair up, light sparring" And by everyone I mean there are good people and awful people in this class. Awful meaning someone who doesn't know any better and can't control where their legs go - but inevitably will end up kicking you in the legs, the crotch, the hands...anywhere BUT the hogu.

I was moving around with the best person in the class and I still lasted less than a minute before we made contact and my knee twisted.

So then I get upset, limp off the mat. Jr makes me come back and spar with him, thinking that it has to do with WHO I was sparring. In less than a minute, he tells me to sit out, after seeing that I can't pivot at all on my knee.

So then I get more upset, and leave class. So JAAC apparently clears it up with them as to what's wrong with me (since when I tried to talk to them I got shot down and shut up before I even got to my point), and this week I get this email:

"No sparring for you this week - period. Only kicking pads"

Um, HELLO - didn't I say that last week?

Last night's practice was spectacular. We finally had a workout that was useful and intentionally planned out for specific competition scenarios, and they actually picked things that wouldn't be debilitating to my knees. And then afterwards Jr made me do all this core strengthening stuff.

I don't see why they can't just listen to me from the beginning. It seems so backwards to have to plant something in their heads or have someone else tell them for me. It's not like I'm always right. I'll admit I don't always know what I'm doing. But sometimes I do, and it'd save us all a lot of time and drama around here if they'd just listen once in awhile.

No comments: