Thursday, March 16, 2006

adventures in korean - part 2

Do Koreans have an innate need to play matchmaker? I suppose I should be welcoming setups (according to my parents), but I find it kind of amusing that it's coming from someone who's known me for about 2 weeks...

We have these Koreans here from our counterpart engineers in Korea, and every night this week there's been some sort of dinner with them, us, and I'm guessing the Korean architects from another company we work with. So every night my boss and my Korean coworker ask me what I'm doing and whether I'm free. And every night I've had to turn them down because the tournament is this weekend and I have to be in practice.

On Tuesday, Y (my coworker) kept pressuring me to go to the dinner. Finally I asked him why it was so important, and he says "젊은 남자 소개 시켜줄라고". ("There's a young architect about your age at the architecture company and I wanted to introduce you").

Well, I don't take spontaneity very well when I'm on a tight schedule, and when you've gotta train...you've gotta train. I finally convinced him that I had to go to TKD, and he just sorta laughed and said "태권도 하고 결혼 했내요." ("I see you've married Taekwondo").

Great, that's what I've been labelled as?? Greeeeat. But really, his only basis for trying to set us up is because he's Korean and in his mid 20's and I'm Korean and in my mid 20's. Doesn't seem to be much of an educated matchup to me.

Gosh, I can see how people let work take over their lives without even knowing it...I probably should've gone to the dinners, but...oh well.

No comments: