I can't wait for summer vacation.
It's funny, ever since I graduated, summer has ceased to have that freedom that it used to. I mean, let's face it - no one's gonna give me 2.5 months off of work.
Ever since I was a kid, I would look forward to summer as the end of a year. A time when I could sleep in and watch "The Price Is Right" every morning (yes, that was my favorite game show for awhile). When I could go bike riding with my friends every day (ugh, I pity NYC kids who can't just go outside and play in the streets). Summers meant shorts, and swimming, and tagging along with my dad on his trips to LA. It meant Jr. Nationals and the weeks of preparation where my coach would pick us up at 7am, drive us out to the end of some beach, and make us run home...
Now summer means hot and sticky weather and wishing I had an air conditioner. Or, wishing I knew how to install it without dropping it out the window. (Anyone want to help me install an AC this summer? Please?)
I can't wear shorts because of having to look nice for work. Reminds me of that DJ Doc song, DOC 와 춤을. "여름 교복이 반바지 라면..."
Working means that you get a whopping 2 weeks of vacation in a year. 2 weeks. That's so little. I go through it with one, maybe two big tournaments. In fact, I'm already in the hole for vacation hours, and I've only been at my company for a month.
But this summer appears to be a time when things will actually slow down significantly - well, provided that I don't promptly fill my plate back up again. Ever since the job change and freeing up another hour in my day, I seem to have filled it and then some with teaching and tutoring. While I'm certainly thankful for how good business has been, and flattered to be getting calls - it's tiring. It puts me in quite the quandary, because I absolutely love teaching - but it is very emotionally occupying, and makes me tired by the time I get to my own training. But over the summer, my kids are out of school, and a lot of them go away to camps or travel. (Yes, privileged kids). I think I'll have enough students to still get to teach, but not be overloaded and crammed in tight.
Coupled with the fact that there aren't any big tournaments over the summer, I'm looking forward to it as a time of healing, rest, and rehabilitation. Not just for my body (though that is sorely needed) but just for the soul - everyone needs a time to slow down. I miss hanging out with friends without having to make appointments weeks in advance. I miss walking around aimlessly, just for the sake of seeing what's out there - it's been so long since I haven't had to rush from Point A to Point B. I wish I didn't have to always turn down events when they come up, because I have to be at practice. In short - I think I'm missing out on being a 20-something.
So although it's going to be FIGHTING! for the next 2 months (Regionals, Collegiate Worlds, holding down the job plus classwork plus teaching plus getting the kids ready for finals and SAT's and AP's...) the madness will pass. And then I'll finally finally finally have...time.
Things I want to do this summer:
Sleep 8 hours a night.
NOT be at the dojang 7 days a week.
Go to Boston at least once and visit all my kids properly.
Go to a museum.
Go to Mostly Mozart.
Rollerblade through Central Park.
Go to Brooklyn. It's the borough that has eluded me.
Spend more time with my nieces.
Eat good food. Explore some new restaurants.
Redo my kitchen.
See a movie. In a theater.
Play violin regularly.
Meet up with people! (You?)
No comments:
Post a Comment