Wednesday, January 04, 2006

awareness

The other day I was walking down Broadway, minding my own business, listening to my iPod...when suddenly someone grabs me. A big black guy in a parka and a beanie. (Not trying to be racist, just descriptive).

Momentary shock.

And then he kind of shakes me and says "CHRISTINA!!!"

"Um...yeah?"

"I've been calling your name for half a block! I didn't see you had earphones on until I grabbed you, I thought you were ignorning me...geez you looked like you were going to narabam me!"

Finally my brain registers who it is - it was Sean, this heavyweight who used to work out with me, but hasn't been to TKD in awhile. He's a big guy. I haven't seen him in awhile. And clearly I'm oblivious to the outside world while I'm trying to get from Point A to Point B in the cold.

So...for those who ask what I would do if someone attacked me on the street...well, the answer this time was...stare blankly. I am LAME. Well, at least he THOUGHT I was going to defend myself. Though really, who would do a narabam (this spinning fancy kick) when you could just kick a guy in the groin? (Sorry, guys).

The irony was, in class that night, Mr. E decided to go over self-defense and choke escapes. I seriously need to work on my awareness...eesh.

No comments: