Thursday, January 12, 2006

note to self

Well now I have a story to tell when people want to know what your most embarassing moment was...

I was on my connecting flight from Colorado Springs to Chicago, on one of those small Airbus planes with only two seats on either side. I hadn't slept properly all weekend because I was too excited the night before and after the competition (well, different kinds of excitement, trepidation vs. satisfaction). I figured I'd probably konk out on the plane and recuperate on the way home.

As most have figured out from my AIM sn - I spend a lot of time being tired. And it's not often I hit this state, but when I'm supremely tired - I twitch. This rather unfortunate series of events began with my usual post-competition fare: Coca-Cola. I love Coke, and try to moderate before competitions...but after it's over, I get it every opportunity I have.

So there's this nice cup of Coke sitting on my tray table...and I slowly nod off before I even get a chance to drink it...when I'm suddenly jolted awake by a violent twitch, which sends my hand flying into my cup, spilling the contents all over myself and the guy next to me.

I have never been so absolutely mortified in my life. Spilling a cold sticky soda all over a random stranger's lap...and obviously it's not like I could help him mop it up or anything. Gosh he was really gracious about it...I don't know what I would've done if someone had done that to me.

But after that I had an awkward 2 hours left of the flight, in which I was afraid to sleep because I might twitch and do something else embarassing, like hit him. It was the longest flight of my life.

Note to self - sleep well before getting ON a plane.

No comments: