Friday, June 16, 2006

Forgiveness is a difficult thing. It's difficult enough to forgive someone who has asked for forgiveness - to truly forgive, forget, and move forwards. But far more difficult than that is to forgive someone who is unrepentant - one who claims that how they hurt you was an intentional decision, one who insists that it was the right thing to do, one who may see when they make mistakes, but will never admit to them.

Sometimes you have to forgive for yourself - because in the end, when they don't care, it only affects you. I find it hard to believe that what I'm supposed to take away from all of this is that no one cares about you but yourself. That is far too cynical for me to believe.

What makes a good coach? I think a good coach is someone who believes in you - always. No matter what. A great coach is one who can transfer that belief to you and make you believe in yourself. No matter how great you are, you have to win the respect and trust of your players. I've seen it from both sides, and I think it's absolutely true.

There is only one person who really knows me - in my strengths, my weaknesses, and everything in between - who I feel believes in me 100%. And I'm losing him. The only person who really stuck by me and understood me here.

Perhaps I am underestimating God, but I find myself asking "is this it? after all that - is this how it ends?" Sometimes you look challenges in the face - and just don't have any more strength. Sometimes you wonder who is really on your team. Because a team of one will inevitably lose.

No comments: