Wednesday, June 28, 2006

pink part 2

Who am I?

So last month, I managed to put myself in a situation where time stopped. OK, more like, I have two watches that I alternate depending on whether I have to look nice or not, and one had a dead battery and one was lost.

I thinkI have an obsession with time...I guess it usually happens to busy people, constantly checking the clock to make sure appts are kept. I came to this conclusion because without my watches, I was just that idiot that looked at her wrist every 2 minutes.

After going crazy for a week, I searched high and low for my trusty Nike watch that has served me well for nearly 6 years...but it was nowhere to be found. I resorted to using my cell phone for the time, but that just became annoying, having to pull it out every time I needed to check. So although I meant to get the battery replaced before leaving for Spain...it just didn't happen.

Being in a foreign country must give me a feeling of insecurity, because somehow, I feel the need to check the time more often. Perhaps because I'm out of my routine and can't just use my inner clock...but when I got to JFK that Saturday, I knew I was going to go nuts if I didn't have a watch for the whole trip.

I thought to myself, JFK is a big airport - there MUST be a place I can buy a watch somewhere. Let it be known - unless you want a $12 fake and/or gaudy monstrosity (that will probably stop telling time every few hours) from Hudson News - JFK is a dud. So I decided to hold off and wait until we got to Madrid and hope for better luck.

The duty free shops did not disappoint. However, they seemed to be full of higher-end watches that I would rarely use. Ideally, I would have liked to have replaced my Nike watch, or gotten something digital and functional of the sort. However, they only had fancy schmancy watches, swatch watches, and cheapo kiddie watches.

After much hemming and hawwing, I finally settled on a swatch watch. It was more than I would have liked to have paid for a plastic watch that only tells time, but given the choices, I thought it was the best combination of functional, different (ie. not a blue sports watch, like all my other watches over my lifetime), light, and...cute.

My watch.


Don't laugh. I don't wear it with the pink thing with the ears with it.

2-4-6-0-1...

No comments: