Wednesday, June 14, 2006

harold and kumar

When it came out in theaters, I was actually going to go see it. Most of my friends thought it was hilarious. Then again, most of my friends don't like the same movies I do. I have been known to find certain movies in the genre of "stupid movies" to be amusing - Zoolander, Dumb and Dumber...movies of the like. Stupid. But amusing. But as with classic sparky style - I didn't make it to the theater. So when my cousin lent it to me a couple weeks ago, I figured it was time.

Overlooking the nasty crude stuff, I thought the movie had some substance on racial issues, and touched on some classic aspects of Asian American life. OK, Asian clubs at colleges aren't quite so dorky...but Korean mothers DO have a tendency to make kimchee chigae and bulgogi in bulk...and white people must groan internally (or externally) when they realize they have to share a dorm kitchen with Koreans. I remember in my dorm (which, being all-female, was predominantly Asian) all the kimchee-esque containers went into one fridge. Poor white girls either learned to love it or steer clear...

No but seriously - as misguided as the quest was, it was a wake-up call for this guy to live his life. That in the course of absurdities, mishaps, and lucky breaks, he progresses from being passive, to passive-aggressive, to standing up for himself and not being afraid of going after what (or who, as the case may be) he wants. In a dutiful culture where you do what your authorities say, aim for success as it has been defined for you your whole life, and sacrifice, sacrifice, sacrifice...he got to a point where he realized what really mattered to him.

It made me think. Then again, maybe it was just meant to be another stupid movie and I'm reading too much into it...=)

No comments: