Friday, October 13, 2006

more than conquerers - part 1

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified." -Romans 8:28-30

I'm not sure, but I think this was my favorite sermon from the retreat. It was a whole new way of looking at this famous Romans passage. It brings up an interesting point, that we are not to determine God's character based on our circumstances, but that we are to trust the unfailing/unchanging character of God and see how our lives fit. In short - when good things happen, they make us stronger by encouragement. When bad things happen, they make us stronger by perseverance. Everything has its purpose - in ALL things.

Crazy concept...

I used to see this verse as one of those feel-good reassuring verses. Paraphrased more as "God will do good things for me because God is good". But what of the times when it's hard, when things seem to overwhelm and He seems far away? What of the times when you almost feel like you're being punished, or that you just can't take it? What then does it mean that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him?

This week, Sab unleashed some new drills on me. I don't know where he comes up with this stuff, but my training has suddenly taken a turn that reminds me of what football players do in boot camp for conditioning. You know, when you have to tackle that heavy contraption with the pad and move it/push it a certain distance.

After a whole bunch of pad drills, he threw the mitts off and said "OK, push me all the way to the end of the room". Sab is not a huge man, but...he's still a man. Halfway down the floor, I just couldn't move him anymore. He planted his feet, and I ran out of gas...I think for awhile I was just standing there in the middle, leaning on him and wheezing. Until he yelled at me, and I had to get my feet moving again.

I thought that was going to be it, but after 4 sets of those, he went into the whole set of drills where he basically pulls me by the belt from behind and I have to sprint, kick, whatever. It's a crazy feeling, when you just don't think you can pick your legs up, but you have to. (Lactic acid is not my friend). When you know there is nothing left in the tank and all you can do is risk passing out to dog it through, or give up to save yourself.

When we were done, he looked at me with this fond smile, almost of satisfaction.

"Where do you come up with this stuff?? You really enjoy coming up with new ways to torture me, huh?"

"I do. Because I know at the end of the day that you appreciate it."

"Give me about 10 minutes. I'll appreciate it when I can breathe."

10 minutes later

"OK. Now I appreciate you."

"I know."

I'm sure these drills are working my leg strength (judging by the fact that I couldn't walk straight the next day), and my lungs are being expanded...but more than that, he does these things to expand my mental capacity to focus and push, and the capacity of my heart to have that desire to give more than I have.

At the end of the day...it may not feel good during...it's because I know him and trust that he wants what's best for me that I appreciate that he put so much effort and thought into pushing me.

Because at the end of the day, I know it makes me better.

No comments: