A turtle was swimming along a river when a scorpion hailed it from the shore.
"Hey Mr. Turtle!" called the scorpion. "Please let me climb upon your back and swim me to the other side of the river!"
"No," replied the turtle, "for if I do, you shall sting me, and I shall die."
"Nonsense!" replied the scorpion. "If I sting you in the middle of the river, you shall sink, and I shall drown and die with you."
The turtle thought this over, and saw the truth of the scorpion's statement, and said "OK I will swim you across on my back if you promise you won't sting me". The scorpion agreed, and the turtle let it upon his back and began swimming towards the other side of the river.
Halfway across, he felt a sharp pain in the back of his neck.
"Why have you stung me?!" cried the turtle as his body began to stiffen. "You promised you would not sting me, and now we will both die!"
"I couldn't help it" said the scorpion, "it's my nature to sting...but if you knew that I would sting you, why did you agree to help me?"
"I couldn't help it" the turtle replied, "it's in my nature to help."
No comments:
Post a Comment