Sunday, October 29, 2006

spontanaeity

What a spontaneous weekend. I think I secretly like spontanaeity, but I'm too anal and risk-averse to instigate it myself. But judging by my record, I'm apparently easily convinced.

After a long hard practice out in Bayside on Sat (my legs haven't been this purple in years - feels GREAT), I made it back to MN rather late for sg dinner. But some of my sgroupees were gracious enough to hang around and wait for me, and we proceeded from Island Burger to Ellen's Stardust Diner, where they had dessert and I had water. (Can I repeat how much I hate cutting weight? I'm getting better at watching other people eat yummy fat and refraining, though. *sigh* Yummy fat.)

That diner is hilarious - the waiters and waitresses come out and sing - and they're really quite good! I could have sat there and been entertained all night. What was even more amusing was when this one waitress came out to sing "Love Train", she danced right over to Mia, who clapped her hands in excitement - until the waitress pulled her out to join the love train. Mia managed to grab Bryan before the train took off down the aisles, leaving Carol and me to enjoy this performance and fumble for a camera. Ellen's Stardust Diner, people - I highly recommend it. Birthdays, bar mitzvah's, and small group memory-making.

So from there we proceeded to walk across town in the wind (Mia kept claiming she was going to get blown away...I guess this is what happens when you weigh double digits) to Bryan's to get his car (bless his company for funding our escapades) to drive Mia home. Thus the adventure to Queens began...

After the grand tour of her apt (which is seriously half the cost of living in MN), she treated us to some high quality music (did you know she has soul?) for trekking all the way out to Briarwood. From there we embarked on a quest via GPS and internet to find a 24 hour Target or Walmart, since we were in Queens (ie. stuff is cheaper) and with car (ie. don't have to carry it home on the subway) - but to no avail. Seriously, we called every Target and Walmart in that area and they were all closed. Lame.

In a desperate attempt to find something open 24 hours, we ended up going to Walgreens. How sad is it that that was really exciting? But it was...Christmas wrapping for super cheap!

Thankfully it was the reversal of daylight savings, so all this fun was supplemented by an extra hour of sleep. And who says God doesn't provide?

So then on Sunday I completely forgot that I had to teach at 9am until a kid showed up at my door. Whoops. She isn't my most exciting student, either, so mustering up the energy took some effort. After church, I walked across town (literally - from 10th ave to 2nd ave) to meet up with the alums bc gbae and gleej were in town! What a pleasant surprise...I love the class of 2000. And they are the other kcf class with 'the curse'. Haha.

So after lunch I was supposed to go to football, but ended up being abducted in the car to ahyeah's apt, where they introduced me to the world of Settlers of Catan (dangerous, introducing me to new games...). And by abducted I mean, I was standing outside the car trying to decide what to do and gleej goes "just get in the car" so I got in the car. Easily convinced, I tell you. (And no, I wouldn't do that with strangers, lest anyone thinks I will actually be abducted).

Super duper fun...

Things I want to eat post-competitions:

-a coffee ice-cream milkshake
-coke. lots of non-diet coke.
-fettucine alfredo with chicken and broccoli.
-jackson hole burger.
-cheesecake.
-brownies.
-fried chicken.
-breaded pork chops.

No comments: