Gosh I love Christmas. In all its commercial glory, even, I love this time of year. And I probably blogged the same thing around this time last year, but...I love having an excuse to give people gifts. I actually like going out and wandering and trying to come up with the 'perfect' gift...it's a challenge! Because when you find it, it's so satisfying...and when they open it and realize that someone thought of them, there's a certain type of smile that comes over their faces that just makes my Christmas.
This Christmas (or Hannukah, as my Jewish family has inducted me into) has been pretty successful. The highlight was definitely Scottie, my 13 year old TKD student (and Jewish little bro). I've known Scott for a few years now, since he was that 55 lb shy little 10 yo red belt with glasses. The past year of being his coach and having been inducted into their family (I'm not kidding about the Jewish mother - I really do have one) has been really awesome. It's interesting when you see kids grow up, especially when they hit their teen years. I feel like I've spent the last year watching him outgrow his doboks and shoes, outgrow the way he used to giggle uncontrollably, and try to grow into being 'cool' and listening to more 'grown up' music and dressing with more 'style'.
Among his billion other sports, Scott plays soccer, and spent most of the summer in this soccer camp. I happened to be in a Nike store earlier this year, and found this USA soccer workout jersey thing that I thought would be perfect for him. Now the only problem was, he's been growing like crazy this year. So the tragedy of buying gifts way in advance for a 13 year old boy is...one massive growth spurt and I'm sunk.
So last week at Sue's suggestion, we did the whole exchanging of presents. When Scott opened his present, his eyes totally bugged out. He immediately tried to contain his excitement, and wanting to let him be 'cool' I accepted his thank you and went downstairs to change into my dobok for his lesson.
When I came back up and started getting pads together, I was suddenly barrelled over by this blond ball in a massive hug and a "thank you for my present!!" The look on his face when I told him that for one day, he could train in his new jersey instead of his dobok top was priceless. And thankfully, it was still a little big on him...he'll outgrow it soon enough, I'm sure.
I love the fact that even though he's growing up, I can occasionally get the inner Scottie to come out and giggle and hug voluntarily once in awhile. I know that as he gets older it's going fade away, and he'll become less and less affectionate...gosh, the day that Derek outgrows hugs and Dyl and Daniel outgrow 뽀뽀's, I'm going to be devastated. All my little bros are growing up so fast...man, boys and girls are so vastly different in their affections as they grow older. When does it become 'uncool' for boys to be affectionate?
Well, for as long as I have them, it's so nice to see the refreshing innocence of children who express what they feel right when they feel it. And there's nothing like a good present over the holidays to bring out a smile. This time of year, I feel like I see God's heart a little more clearly...how He delights in giving us good things, and how cool it would be to just barrel God over in a big hug when He provides.
11If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! 12So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets. -Matthew 7:11-12
No comments:
Post a Comment