Friday, December 02, 2005

inefficiency

I am a very impatient person. I would really like if life was as efficient as possible. Hence, I like to do things like plan ahead, make schedules, make appointments...and I value when people also plan ahead, make schedules and keep appointments. I don't think I could ever work at a company that expects me to drop everything anytime they feel compelled to dominate my life...I don't know how some of my friends do it.

So the thing about my work is...for the most part it's low maintenance. It's flexible, I come and go as I please...and it's fine. It's understood that work is not my top priority, and only when there are these mad deadlines do I have to put the rest of my life on hold and do something stupid like label and organize 4,000 bottles for hours and hours on end.

I work really hard to compartmentalize everything to maximize my day. Yes, I even schedule in times to rest (or rather...if I don't schedule it in, I won't do it, so I have to write "sleep" in for x chunks of hours per day). Therefore I was very peeved at the utter inefficiency of my day. Not only did the preparations for next week's CRAZY sampling study go overtime, it caused me to have to miss teaching my Friday kids sparring class, AND miss small group. It wouldn't have been so bad, if I wasn't stuck hauling the company car home and forced to spend over an hour trying to park the thing somewhere in my neighborhood. The thing is a freaking boat - WHY we have so many Ford Taurus station wagons is beyond me. Ford's are terrible cars, and station wagons don't fit ANYWHERE on the upper west side. (Though after being so frustrated finding a space, I actually paralleled it on the first try!)

By the time I finally found parking, I had to walk 10 blocks in the freezing wind to get to my apt - to find when I walked in the door that my coworker sent me a text message saying to bring the batteries indoors.

Half of me wants to just screw it and get some food and go to sleep. But I know that by tomorrow morning the discharge on those batteries will be enough to potentially ruin the study...but it's SO COLD outside...

Highly, highly inefficient. =(

No comments: