
Syd and Sam, taken almost 2 years ago...look at Sam being such a good un-nee...when I look at them, it's so clear that birth order makes ALL the difference. I still won't forget the day that Syd flipped out about something and started crying and wouldn't stop, and Sam comes over and wipes her sister's tears with her sleeve and tells her "Sydney, LISTEN to me...it's going to be OK..." Even at a young age, it was really clear who was older.
Summer 2002 - Kipp and I hiked the Half Dome at Yosemite with a few other interns at the Lab. That was one crazy hike...something like 18 miles up and down, sunup to sunset. I couldn't walk properly for 4 days afterwards. Quite possibly THE most physically straining thing I've ever done.I miss Kipp..."yeah, token white guy". The one who coined the phrase "no guts, no butts", got stupid PKT catch phrases stuck in my head until I was saying them more than he was...bah! Our claim to fame was the all night tag team 35 page 2.671 lab report that started at 2am and was printed as xander came to take me to the airport for Christmas...it was absolutely ridiculous that in our lack of consciousness we finished it, let alone got a better grade than on the rest of our reports. I would never have survived MIT without his ridiculous brain and even more ridiculous patience in teaching.

My favorite picture of pyang, from the experiment to see if he could fit in the trunk of his car...we learned that night that there's a latch on the inside you can use to let yourself out...in case you ever lock yourself in the trunk of your car, now you know.
My favorite picture of Rich. Back in the days when his hair was a reasonable amount of thick. Gosh, I think I harped on him at the time this picture was taken that he needed a haircut...haha if I knew how it'd end up now...this was downright short.Gosh he was so good back then. Well, I'm sure he's still good now, but when he was a freshman, he had so much talent. To me, he'll always be that clueless freshman who was constantly apologizing, would call every 5 minutes from the prof's office to make sure he was doing things 'right', said he'd take my side just because I'm noona...haha he hasn't called me that in forever. Helping him cram all the ITF forms at 2am the night before so he could pass the equivalency test, only so he and Nathan could mess up on Taegeuk Yook Jang, of all forms...there were some good times.
It was nice having a dongseng. Sure made the whole sumbae hubae thing make sense.

Aren't my parents super cute? Taken after my 2nd graduation, somewhere in Cape Cod. I feel like I should make Christmas cards out of this picture, since they're wearing the right colors.
Quintessential me and Sab Sr, taken in Greece at WUTC 2004. Funny how I was so scared of him before, and how little we knew each other at that time...this was the tournament he started hitting me on the head before I competed, to try and beat the nervousness out of me. I had the best and worst matches of my career at this tournament, and it was the turning point in both my TKD and my relationship with them.People will laugh or be shocked, but the tradition still carries today even though I'm not afraid of him anymore. Every match he coaches me, I lean in and he smacks me on top of the head. Sometimes we forget to do it and I'm halfway to the center of the ring and come running back. Can't fight without it.

mcho, art_emis, and I went to some beach during the spring break trip to LA. I really like this picture, it seems artsy or something...ah, 2 of my original small group girls...8am "breakfast club" with Philippians..."I think it's really cool that..." One of the most rewarding things to witness is when your juniors rise up and not only follow in your footsteps, but surpass you...Sarah became Mama Shin of ACF and Margaret became the anchor for the TKD team...very proud of my girls, and I miss them...

I don't know why I like this picture, I just do. Peter and I passed out on the ferry ride back, I think dp took this pic.
If you ever go to Martha's Vineyard and ride the bikes...pay the extra bucks for a nicer seat. Staff Fun Day 2 was awesome...except for the butt pains we all experienced from the hard bike seats. Gosh that year on staff...it was so worth it. I miss my old staff team, even though I was only on it for a year.
That's all for memory lane for now. Sometimes it's good to just remember good times and good friends...not to dwell on days gone by, but to remember joy.
No comments:
Post a Comment