I have found the single most annoying thing about NYC. It trumps my disdain for NY drivers (read: cabs), the disgusting rat race that parents put their poor children through to get into kindergarten (read: snotty private schools), the MTA (read: strike), and even the weather (read: cold).
Tourists.
How quickly I've forgotten since my move uptown just how awful it was living in Times Square. And when I say I lived in Times Square, I mean I was on 44th between 6th and 7th - a few buildings down from Toys R' Us, which is where all the bright lights converge. While it was conveniently central and close to every subway...it was the most congested and clausterophobic atmosphere I've ever been in.
Wading through the crowds was ridiculous - people would stand in the middle of the sidewalk, camcorders in hand, taking pictures so you were constantly trying not to walk in front of cameras...I bet I'm in the background (or walking in front of) hundreds of tourists' pictures.
I decided to forego Pat's loft party, thinking I was going to go to this thing my church was doing. However, by the time I got around to leaving my apt, it was already 9pm. The location being 42nd and 12th didn't seem too promising, since Times Square is quite possibly the most crowded and ridiculous place to be on Dec. 31st...but no, that's old and crusty sparky talking, so I made myself not give in to laziness and get out of the apt. Thus began my New Year's Eve 2005 Trek.
I took the train down to 42nd, and the barricades and herding began - the NYPD had it set up so that most streets were blocked off and there was really only one path you could take from any particular location. I found myself on 6th ave somewhere in the 30's before I asked a cop what the best way was for me to get to 42nd and 12th. He tells me to go back up, and cut across at 45th, where they were letting people through.
Now I'm thinking - I used to live around there....45th street is the heart of Times Sq and bound to be overflowing with people. There is no way this is going to happen. But being pushed by the crowds and not seeing much other alternative...and trusting this cop...I went up 6th ave.
It was a bit nostalgic, since I passed by Bryant Park with all the decorations and such that I saw every day when I lived around there. But the throngs of tourists with noisemakers blaring in my ear quickly dispelled that. So as I thought, 45th was blocked off...the cop there said the next possible entrance was 53rd.
So I walked up to 53rd - blocked off. The next cop said 59th.
So I walk up to 59th - and it's a standstill. It was one thing when the roads were blocked and all you could do was move forwards with everyone else. Now I was stuck on the street with hundreds of strangers (who were still blaring those noisemakers) at 10:30pm - NOT MOVING. At this point, I'm thinking, if I ever get across this street, i'm 17 city blocks (almost a mile) and 6 avenues (what, 2 miles?) away from my destination. (Assuming that 20 city blocks is a mile). At this rate, I wasn't going to make it by midnight...heck, I wasn't even budging for the last 10 minutes.
Eventually the cops directed the traffic of cars, people, and horses (yes, horses) and I made it across the street. So I turned left and proceeded to make my way west - which was even more stop and go. At this point, people were trying to get INTO Times Sq for the New Year's madness (which I must say...by the time you're at Columbus Circle, you're no longer in Times Sq...) so the cops were stopping everyone every 10 ft to check jackets and bags.
There was a father in front of me with what appeared to be a 12ish year old boy. They weren't very fast with moving their feet. So consequently at one of the checkpoints when the police let people through - we were held up because they were walking too slow, and ended up not getting to cross. I'll admit - I was annoyed. (Heck I've been annoyed all night). But honestly - what are you going to do about it? Them not crossing was going to add another, what, 5 minutes to the fact that I'm not going to make it to my destination? Eh, not worth it, let someone enjoy their holiday, it's not their fault they walk too slowly or they're not aggressive in crowds. They're probably from the Midwest or somewhere where people are considerate and stop and smell the roses.
And then the guy behind me, who's been grumbling to himself about this whole process, suddenly flips out at these people. And being sandwiched in between them, I don't think I'll ever forget the look of shock on this kid's face at being yelled at in public by a stranger for walking too slow. Poor kid. Welcome to New York.
It's like those people who honk in a traffic jam. You're not going anywhere. Honking isn't going to make the traffic move any faster. If you're stuck, you're stuck. Deal with it. Find a happy place. I think that's one of the themes that has repeated this year...being placed in circumstances beyond my control, and seeing that throwing a tantrum really doesn't accomplish anything in the grand scheme of progress. Easier said than done, and I hate the words "suck it up" because I hear them so often...but there it is.
I'd like to say that I was a good person and struck up conversation with people around me and enjoyed my New Year's Eve and brought some positive warmth to those around me. But no. It was a test of patience just to wade through that crowd and get myself to the 59th St. subway station, where I promptly found my refuge on a train back home.
The irony of this whole thing is that after all that careful thinking of how I wanted to spend my Dec. 31st and putting everything through my scheduling - I ended up sitting on my couch by myself watching "Friends" (couldn't stand any of those New Year's shows after having been there) and actually falling asleep before midnight even hit! Eesh. At least I got some good sleep and my hamstrings don't feel broken anymore. Gotta at least be thankful for the little things...
No comments:
Post a Comment