Tuesday, October 26, 2004

ouch

"You have to have an attitude that allows you to chuckle while a guy is pounding you in the face. Not that it's funny, but if you start worrying about that stuff, it will get to you." -Dave Casper

Yay for Erica-quotes! Dug this one up, it seemed appropriate given last night's happenings.

I was kicked in the face yesterday for the first time in a really long time. Well, no, I was kicked in the face plenty in Greece by the Korean girl. I have no idea what this kick was that Sr did, something like a shuffle step mix of front kick/axe kick/high turning kick. But it caught me square in the chin and hit me upwards and took me to the ground. He pulled it a little, but not much. And right when it hit, I heard him breathe out sharply and say "oh no..."

But not for long, because the moment of sympathy was masked by Jr on the side chewing me out for crying and not getting up.

So different, the two of them. Jr gave me an 8 count and then called a "break" and made me come over to him to get under control. "Christina come HERE. NOW. Christina. CHRISTINA. Look at me. NOW." Now that I think about it, maybe it was kind of funny how mad he was getting. James always says that his face turns red and he starts waving his arms around. Maybe I was ignoring him, maybe I wasn't. I definitely heard him, I just didn't want to stand in front of him and cry because I know he hates that.

I think that's the first time he's used that tone of voice with me in a long time. It was a little bit different than the usual chewing out, which is either an exasperated "WHY?!?!" or a quiet but sharp order. This one was really...stern. Actually, what it reminded me of was the time that Rich and I were training before Collegiate Trials and I had the meltdown right in the middle of kicking. He used the same tone. Which is strange because one person is my senior and one is my junior.

So what was it, exactly? He's right, it's not the hardest I've ever been hit in the face. It didn't draw blood. Well, not much. I have a nice bruise on my chin, but it's not any more noticeable than a violin bruise would be. I was wearing a headgear, though that didn't help.

I felt awful, but apparently I sparred OK after that. Maybe suck-uppage is getting better after all. It was rather satisfying to hit Sr with some solid badachagi's. Even with the 8-count, I think I would have won if we were counting points. Though I still feel like a loser because he made me cry. But for the first time, despite having cried, I kind of did want to come back and kick him in the face too. So strange, to want to kick your Sabs in the face - so seemingly wrong. But I think that's what they're trying to get at.

T-minus 12 days.

Note to self: When the inside of your mouth is cut up, it might be a good idea to take Tabasco out of the diet until it's healed.

No comments: