Monday, October 11, 2004

past meets present

Liza is my knockout twin! =) Heehee...congratulations for winning the US Cup team spot to Ireland! =) Wow, I know/have trained with everyone who made this team...congrats all around!

************

My worlds collided on Saturday when Nathan came to visit. It was so good to catch up and hang out with him, John, and Karen. They came to West Side and after practice we went to Saigon Grill with Adolfo, Scott, and Joonho. An interesting group...strange how old meets new...but it was fun. (Adolfo and Nathan commisserated on being smacked in the head by me.) Common topic of great discussion: whipped guys without spines and the high maintenance girls who whip them. Seems to be a common thread any TKD setting...eesh.

Hung around the apt for awhile, watching part of LOTR (ick, I don't think I could make it through a whole movie) and playing Cranium Conga. (Thanks Nancy and Erica, finally made good use of it!) Nathan got "a sport that doesn't use a ball". Didn't think he'd be so obvious, but when the timer started the first thing he did was self-cheer. Sadly, that's the first thing that comes to mind when you think TKD. Haha...

Went out with Grace for dinner, she picks good places to eat. =) Wow, the East Village sure is jumping on Saturday nights. I guess that's what normal 20-something's do. Grace left for a party and the 4 of us went back to Karen's apt...it was so fun to just sit around and talk and laugh...I really miss having peers. John and I were talking and realized that Karen and Nathan had totally fallen asleep and it was 3:30am. Or more like Nathan woke up all groggy to me fixing John's turning kick. Hahaha...ah, I miss JoHo, he was one of my favorites. So teachable and so responsive. Soaks everything up like a sponge. *sigh* It made me sad...eh.

While it's cool to be missed, it's hard to think about the gap (obvious and apparently not so obvious) that you leave that you can't just go back to fill. Yeah, it feels good to know that I made a big difference, but...to hear of the struggles and sentiments and know that you can't do anything from afar to really fix it even if the solutions seem simple...that's probably one of the hardest things for me. We had a really good talk, and hopefully some things became clearer. I'll probably make some phone calls or send some emails...but it's going to have to wait until next week. I can feel myself getting absorbed, and while it's selfish, I just can't right now.

As the honeymoon period of NY slowly wears off...I'm starting to miss Boston and people there. But not even that - it's more of what was there, even if a lot of those people aren't there anymore.

Sabs think I've moved on but as more time goes on I realize that it's not just something you can cut the cord with.

No comments: