"But time makes you bolder
children get older
I'm getting older too..."
It's amazing how fast time flies. Ryan told me today that he's taking his driving test to get his lisence. Goodness gracious, Ryan behind wheels. Ryan who used to cry in the dojang when his dad would leave until he had his red power ranger. Ryan who was 30 pounds and wanted to hold my hand crossing the street when he was 5. Ryan whose dad would be my TKD chauffeur until I got my lisence and became his. Ryan who used to be so excited about Gran Turismo and want me to come over and play video games. Who danced to Boyz II Men's "On Bended Knee" for the Christmas party when he was 6. Who could outrun me by the time he was 9 and I was 17. Who could outspar me by the time he was 13 and I was 21. Who developed a potty mouth and swore like a sailor by 14. Who asked me for advice on what classes to take in high school.
And now he's going to get his driver's lisence. And in two years he'll be going to college. And he's probably taller than me.
It's like I blinked and suddenly 10 years passed. And I didn't even notice that we were growing up all this time. To me, he'll still be that little shy 5 year old that came to the dojang with his little buzz cut, barely big enough to take class, with his size 000 uniform hemmed down so his pants wouldn't drag. He was my original little bro.
10 years ago it was 1994. I was 13-14 years old. I went to my first Jr. Nationals in Chicago as a red belt, lost in the quarter-finals and cried. I tested for my black belt and had a piano recital on the same day. I graduated from middle school and had to wear a skirt and I was mad. My best friend moved away to Nebraska. I was a freshman in high school and moved to a new town and had to make all new friends. I had a virtual bowl cut, at least that's what it looked like from the front because I always wore my hair in a ponytail. I was starting to audition for "real" youth orchestras. I got a B+ once in English and thought my world was going to end. I tried out for the softball team and was cut in the 2nd round. I went on my first retreat ever with my church youth group. I went to my first KUMC (Korean United Methodist Church) summer camp.
1994 was a good year.
I wonder who will trigger me to look back and be nostalgic in another 10 years. And what I'll remember of 2004.
Not that he reads my blog, but good luck today, Ry. Thanks for all the good times, and making me remember them.
No comments:
Post a Comment